Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Applying for Certificates - Info required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheila

Sheila Report 30 Oct 2007 16:20

It looks as if I can only apply for a 1986 death certificate on line if I know the exact date of death. However, I have downloaded the form to complete for a postal application and it does not appear to say anything about this in the small print.

Is the exact date purely an on line requirement and can I get round it by applying by post?

I'm sure someone will know the answer so thanks in anticipation

Sheila

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Oct 2007 16:54

As far as I am aware, it is a general requirement to have exact dates for any certs less than 50 years old...........for security, in these days of identity theft.

Reg

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 30 Oct 2007 16:55

I think its to do with their system?

If you do not have the exact date of the event or are unable to complete the mandatory fields, then you will not be able to apply online. See Ways to Apply for details of how to make an application via telephone, post or fax.

Ways to Apply

In person at the Family Records Centre
If you need to find out more about the event you are interested in before you place your order, you can go and look through the indexes at the Family Records Centre in London and place an application for the certificate(s) you require once you have found the entry or entries in question. Please note: the indexes to the Adopted Children Register are only available at the Family Records Centre in London.

By telephone
We accept phone orders using Visa, Mastercard, Solo, Delta or Switch. Please call +44 (0)845 603 7788 and have as much relevant information to hand regarding your enquiry as possible as the more we have to go on, the easier it will be for us to deal with your request.

Our lines are open to receive calls as follows:
Monday to Friday 8am � 8pm
Saturday 9am � 4pm
Please also have your credit or debit card ready.

Click here to view fees.
For details of our priority service, see Delivery.

By post
Click on the appropriate link to download an application form in pdf format for birth, marriage, death or adoption which you will then need to complete and post to us at the address below. To view the forms, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader or a pdf compatible viewer (download Adobe Acrobat Reader free of charge by clicking here).

When completing your form, please give us as much information as possible as the more we have to go on, the easier it will be for us to deal with your request.

Please enclose the appropriate fee in the form of a cheque or postal order made out to ONS (Office for National Statistics). Payments from abroad should be by an international money order, cheque or draft (payable in London) made out to ONS and expressed in pounds sterling, quoting a UK clearing bank. Please do not send cash by post.
Click here to view fees.
For details of our priority service, see Delivery.

For certificates relating to events registered in England and Wales, please send your application form to:
GRO
PO Box 2
Southport
Merseyside
PR8 2JD

It is normal for anything under 50 years

Roy

as Reggie said for security

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Oct 2007 16:56

I have ordered a death cert online with just GRO references without a problem.

Death date 1998.

Gwyn

Judith

Judith Report 30 Oct 2007 22:53

For deaths within past 50 years you should only need to supply exact details, and how you are related, if the deceased was 16 or under.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 30 Oct 2007 23:03

Copy n paste this into your addy bar...

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Never pay more than £7 for any cert.

Have you found the Genreral Registry Office (GRO) references for the cert your looking for?