Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

? Batch Numbers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat

Pat Report 31 Oct 2007 09:34

I'm v. new to the site produced by hughwallis but I have managed to identify a possible relative's Christening. I have tried to download the record but when I print this out it appears unclear. Seems to show merely a series of numbers and little real information. I was hoping to identify the church etc. am I expecting too much or what am I doing wrong?

Thank you all
Pat x

Sam

Sam Report 31 Oct 2007 09:38

It usually does showe the church, each set of batch numbers correspond to a particular church. Who is it you are looking for?

Sam x

Heather

Heather Report 31 Oct 2007 10:03

Can you not go straight to familysearch.org and get it off there?

Pat

Pat Report 31 Oct 2007 10:29

Hi Sam - The batch number is J139522. William Cross IGI Male Crhistening: 02 May 1816 Sant Devereux, Hereford. I've found only one Church in St Devereux on the net. Perhaps there is only one? Thank you.

Hi Heather - I thought it was easier to find such info from the IGI/hughwallis site? It was so easy when I just had to search Ancestry - ha ha. Think its going to be a lot harder now I'm beyond 1830 and creeping into the 18C. I'll certainly try familysearch. Thank you

Pat

Heather

Heather Report 31 Oct 2007 10:39

Pat, everyone says its better to go through Hugh Wallis but I always just use the blanket search on IGI as it brings up people who may be of interest. I know I must be wrong but ................

Pat, do try putting his details into ancestry search as it may bring up other entries about him and other trees with him on.

Heather

Heather Report 31 Oct 2007 10:42

Is this his bro?

JOHN CROSS Pedigree
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 13 NOV 1813 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM CROSS Family
Mother: MARTHA

and son?

THOMAS CROSS Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 12 SEP 1849 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM CROSS Family
Mother: MARY

Extracted birth or christening record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

J139522 1804 - 1885 1040024 Film 6900712 Film

Sheet: 00

Heather

Heather Report 31 Oct 2007 10:45

Mum and dad?

WILLIAM CROSS Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: MARTHA LEWIS Family
Marriage: 03 OCT 1811 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M139522 1754 - 1836 1040024 Film 6900713 Film

M139522 1804 - 1885 1040024 Film 6900713

Pat

Pat Report 31 Oct 2007 11:04

Heather you're a star. So much helpful info. and where it is. I get a bit confused with this computer stuff sometimes but usually sort it out eventually and you've been so helpful. John could indeed be related to my Gx3 William because there is a John running through the family + William begat William begat William - ha ha - not useful at all really - but then again!
You've really cheered me up and given me a fresh wind behind my sails. Thank you - v. much appreciated.

Pat x

Pat

Pat Report 31 Oct 2007 12:04

Not sure if my earlier replyto Heather made it to the boards - do hope so.

Thelma

Thelma Report 31 Oct 2007 12:20

Hugh Wallis can be difficult.
You can write down the number(s) and then use them on IGI
Parish registers for St. Devereux, 1669-1974 Church of England. Parish Church of St. Devereux (Herefordshire)

William Cross Mary abt 1815 St Devereux, Herefordshire, England Head Allensmore Herefordshire
William Cross Mary abt 1815 St Devereux, Herefordshire, England Head Allensmore Herefordshire

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Nov 2007 01:14

Pat,

As others have suggested, I would go to hughwallis's site and write down the batch number(s) and the use them on the familysearch site.
I checked out all 6 St Devereux OPR numbers for "cross", and there is one other set of results (in the girls batch #) including one that is probably relevant.

Results for: Cross, Hereford, England, British Isles
Exact Spelling: Off
Batch Number: k139522
[refine search]
Prepare selected records for download

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 4
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. MARIA CROSS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 10 JUL 1828 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

2. MARY CROSS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 24 NOV 1845 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

3. ELIZA CROSS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 30 JAN 1848 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

4. NANCY CROSS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 02 AUG 1812 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

I would normally redo the search (typically using some info I'd gathered) in the full IGI, to see if there are sibs born or banns read in other parishes, and for LDS member submissions (checking out the "family" links on the latter).

For display purposes, I normally put all the info that will get me exactly the result I want, then cut and paste it into "notepad" which is a primitive word-processor on every windows PC. You want to use a program that's too dumb to do anything but throw away any embedded html text and nothing's dumber than notepad. I then maybe edit the text a bit by removing "[refine ... download" and adding a [note], then cut and paste from notepad to the final target, e.g., this email.

Results for: Hereford, England, British Isles
Father: William Cross, Mother: Martha
Exact Spelling: Off

International Genealogical Index / British Isles - 5
Select records to download - (50 maximum)
1. JOHN CROSS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 13 NOV 1813 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

2. WILLIAM CROSS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 02 MAY 1816 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

3. NANCY CROSS - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 02 AUG 1812 Saint Devereux, Hereford, England

[Deleted two 1805/7 Whitbourne OPR births, Rest all OPR extracts: j/k139522]

Although the term OPR is used to include certain non-conformists, mostly they are the parish registers of the established church, and even if the parish has several churches, there's only one set of registers mentioned in the IGI for the parish. If the marriage was performed by the church, it should be recorded in the parish register, even if the marriage didn't take place in a church. This was common in Scotland with different laws, but still occurred in England (but needed a licience, which was given for deathbed and prison, etc., marriages).

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 1 Nov 2007 03:17

Can someone please explain the Hugh Wallis batch numbers and how they work? I am now heavily into 18c records and don't know what I am doing.

Regards

Margaret

Pat

Pat Report 1 Nov 2007 10:05

Hi Jim and Malcolm.

Thank you so v. much for your help/info/technical knowledge, you have no idea how much all this helps. Malcolm thank you especially for the 'tech' stuff! I've printed off your answers and will practice diligently - seriously though, without this site I'd be totally lost - a truly super bunch of people.

Thank you
Pat x

Hi Margaret,

It's all scary stuff this website thing isn't it but keep at it like me. find regular use of these sites does help. I found on the hugh wallis/IGI site the first page did explain what batch numbers were all about and I have printed it off for myself and, of course, there is the excellent answers/info right here.

Best wishes and happy hunting
Pat xx

Heather

Heather Report 1 Nov 2007 10:30

Hi Pat, sorry my time on here is limited by the number of customers who ring (damn nuisance, customers).

Thanks very much, Im pleased it helped a bit :)