Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is a ......

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

covlass

covlass Report 31 Oct 2007 11:10

Can someone tell me what a Court Leet Suitor is/means please?

Julie

Julie Report 31 Oct 2007 11:17

If you google this..some bits come up but you have to do a bit of reading to find it..You'll see what i mean lol

Court Leet Suitor old occupation uk

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 31 Oct 2007 11:21

It sounds a lot more exciting than my Ag Labs & Miners!

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 31 Oct 2007 11:27

I wonder if this will help

http://www.covkid.org.uk/1826%20Suitors%20List.html

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Oct 2007 11:44

It seems to be some sort of qualification to vote in some sort of local council before local councils were elected, (that's if I have understood this page):-

http://www.cwn.org.uk/heritage/family-history/john-russell/990221-1833-35.htm

Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 31 Oct 2007 11:52

I was reading about this in a local history book. And yes, it seems to be an early sort of magistrates court cum council. The Leet court seems to have been held at a local manor and was used for settling disputes etc.

covlass

covlass Report 31 Oct 2007 16:18

Thankyou guys makes sence now
Sharon

Joy

Joy Report 31 Oct 2007 17:09

Someone I know is connected with the Court Leet at Wareham.
I hope that this information and site below will be of interest.

Courts Leet were the more powerful courts of criminal jurisdiction, granted by the King to one of his trusted Tenants-in-chief In those days, law and order was also self-administered by the 'Frankpledge' system, where people were responsible for the conduct of one another in groups of ten householders (hence the word 'tithe' meaning a tenth); if one offended then the other nine were held responsible.

When necessary, the 'Hue and Cry' system aided in the speedy apprehension of offenders. With the establishment of democratic Parliament and local government control, the court leet system gradually lost its powers: After the I880s courts leet no longer imposed fines. In 1925 the 'Law of Property Act' abolished many manorial rights; and, finally In 1977 court leet functions were further reduced to their current level during local government reorganization

http://courtleet.awardspace.co.uk/index.htm

Heather

Heather Report 31 Oct 2007 23:13

Shame they dont have the same system now, eh?

covlass

covlass Report 1 Nov 2007 08:43

Thankyou Joy will take a look looks like he was more importnt than I thought

Sharon