Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer problems - advice please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 31 Oct 2007 12:07

Just spent 30 minutes on phone to BT trying to sort my internet access out. I know nothing about firewalls and anti virus etc. Can someone tell me whether I need additional software ontop of what I get with my BT Home hub set up and if so what would they recommend please. I have anti norton but can't update it and also spy bot. Are these causing the problems. HELP before I lose the will to live!!
Off out now but will check in later provided I can get internet access.
Thanks in anticipation
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 31 Oct 2007 12:24

Hi Jolly Sailor.
Thank you responding.
I keep losing access of the internet or computer is very slow and the bloke at BT said I must have something installed on the laptop computer which is slowing it down and sometimes not allowing me access to internet. What I wondered was whether there was a programme installed eg spy bot, norton etc that might clash with what BT provides with it's broadband package. I have carried out the usual disk clean up, defrag, emptying temp files, cookies and history.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 31 Oct 2007 14:16

Hi Jolly Sailor
I installed AVG last week on the advice of someone else and then uninstalled it this morning as I thought this was causing the prob. I will now uninstall Norton and replace it with AVG and see if this helps along with your other suggestions.Will let you know what the task manager shows.Thanks
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 31 Oct 2007 14:26

Right.
Task Manager shows system idle 99.
I have been getting the following message on my laptop recently before todays problem when I close any prog.

IEXPLORE.EXE application error.
The instruction at Ox62304390 Referenced memory at Oz62304390. The memory could not be 'read'. Click on OK to terminate the programme.

Could this be a problem.? I have checked my add/remove programmes and Symantec is the anti virus installed but not able to get updates anyway so will delete this after downloading AVG.
Any further suggestion apart from throwing the laptop out of the window greatly received. lol.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 31 Oct 2007 14:33

Just wanted to add that I have XP not vista if that helps.
Di

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 31 Oct 2007 15:00

MGH
Thank you, I will try that once AVG has completed it's scan. Thanks to al who have given advice. It does appear to be a bit quicker. I wondered whether there were programmes which worked against one another and it seems so.
Di