Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marrying the wife's sister!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rioja

Rioja Report 31 Oct 2007 15:13

Hello all,

I have heard conflicting reports as to whether marrying your wifes sister after the wife has died is a relationship frowned upon or was it "allowed"?

Can anyone help?

Claire

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 31 Oct 2007 15:15

I had the reverse scenario.....a widow marrying her late husband's brother...........they had to go to the next county.

This was in 1839

Reg

Potty

Potty Report 31 Oct 2007 15:19

I have a man marrying his cousin and after her death, marrying his deceased brother's widow. There were children from all three marriages. Bet those kids were confused. A lot later than yours Reg - 2nd marriage was in 1919.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Oct 2007 15:22

No it wasnt an allowed match however it did happen . My maternal grt gran was married 3 times . her second husband was her cousin , he died 4 years later & she then married his elder bro ,a But HE was the widower of HER younger sister, Talk about a round robin ,and this was in the 1890,s

Rioja

Rioja Report 31 Oct 2007 15:27

In my instance, Charles Simpson first wife Eliza, died in the Sept quarter of 1870 and he married her sister Emma in the march quarter of 1871!

Not much time mourning then!

Rioja

Rioja Report 31 Oct 2007 15:29

Thankyou Capricorn, I got that info too , I thought it hadn't worked so I did it again!

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 31 Oct 2007 15:59

I have a number of men who married, then wife died, and then he married wife's sister - this is in the UK. And recently discovered another chap who married 2 sisters - at the same time! They were Mormons living in Salt Lake City.

Optimist

Optimist Report 31 Oct 2007 16:34

I think it must have been fairly common in the 1870s/80s. I have several relatives who married a deceased wife's sister.

Lyn.

Esta

Esta Report 31 Oct 2007 16:47

I have a man marrying his wife's younger sister after his wife died. The younger sister had been working as a housemaid for them during her older sister's life time.

He had a daughter with his first wife named after his first wife and then went on to have a second daughter with his second wife (sister of the first wife) and named her after his dead wife. So you had a wife and two daughters all with the same name - it took some working out!