Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Pointers to help trace my grandmother please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 1 Nov 2007 12:08

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for a bit of advice or a point in the right direction!

My grandmother Anna Mugford was born in Canada about 1900/1901. She came to England before WW1 with her parents and on the outbreak of war her parents travelled back leaving her in the care of her Aunt (she was supposedly too ill to travel).
I know nothing of this family she stayed with, other than her Aunt was called Rose, she had a cousin called cordroy?, and they lived in Winchester.
Im near to Winchester so in an ideal place to try to trace my grandmother (dont know any hard facts about her at all im afraid) but havent a clue where to begin. She would have been about 14/15 when her parents left her here and was married by 1928. Would there be any records I could check that might have info or an address for her? bear in mind i know only winchester in general and have no idea of the surname of the family she wasliving with.

Thanks for any advice you might have

Demelza

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Nov 2007 12:11

did she marry in Winchester and what was the address on her marriage cert

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2007 12:34

She should be on the 1901 and 1911 Canadian census but the closest one is an Amy Mugford born 1900, living in Saskatchewan. her parents are Samuel and Mabel, both born in England, he in 1869, she 1873. He emigrated in 1891, she 1890.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2007 12:43

There's a Samuel Mugford in Cornwall, England on the 81 census. He was born 1868, a son of William & Amy. He has a sister Rosanna (Aunt Rose?)

HampshireMel

HampshireMel Report 1 Nov 2007 12:47

Hi Margaret,
Thanks for looking, Ive checked too and have never found any records for her in Ontario , Canada, (where she was supposedly born). Would there be any records of her coming into the country at that time, or records to get an nhs number maybe?......there must be some record of her staying on in this country but I havent a clue what or where to look

Demelza

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2007 12:58

2 births in Saskatchewan. Any chance her name was Amy?

Registration Number: 1760
Last Name: MUGFORD
First Name: ELIZABETH ROSE
Sex: F
Birth Date (yyyy/mm/dd): 1902 / 9 / 11
Place of Birth: ROTHBURY Mother
MABEL MUGFORD (GOODDAY)
Father
SAMUEL MUGFORD
Registration Number: 1387
Last Name: MUGFORD
First Name: AMY MARGARET
Sex: F
Birth Date (yyyy/mm/dd): 1900 / 3 / 12
Place of Birth: ROTHBURY Mother
MABEL AUGUSTA GOODDAY
Father
SAMUEL JOHN MUGFORD

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Nov 2007 13:00

Oops, just read your latest message. I'm in the wrong province! Thought I might be on to something.
Margaret