Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find a photographic studio.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rob

Rob Report 1 Nov 2007 17:01

I have an old photograph of a young boy who I'm trying to identify.
The photo was taken by Black&White Studios who were almost certainly located in Essex.
Judging by the subjects clothing I think the photo belongs to the post WW1 period (approx 1918 - 1926).

What are my options in tracing down this photographic studio? I have already started to look through local trade directories for that period but unfortunately the lists are indexed by owners surname and not by the business name.

I have a few contenders for the name of the young lad but I really need to know roughly the date of the photo and studio (town) location.

Any tips would be appreciated,
thank you
Rob

Huia

Huia Report 1 Nov 2007 18:21

There is a website, http://cartes.freeuk.com/time/back19htm which has some photos, although I think the ones in the 1900s group do not go past about 1910. The owner of the site possibly assumes that most people can date their own more recent photos.

Rob

Rob Report 1 Nov 2007 18:43

Thank you for the link.
Interesting site but unfortunately I havn't seen any photos yet from Black&White Studios. I guess there would have been hundreds of studios by the early 20th century so I think i'm going to need a lot of luck finding another example of their work.

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon)

Angela now in Wilts (not North Devon) Report 1 Nov 2007 19:05

Rob

Apologies if you've tried this, but have you googled 'Black & White Studios'? It does bring up info.

Try this link: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/pp_i/pp_macalpine.htm

Good luck!

Angela

Bee~fuddled.

Bee~fuddled. Report 1 Nov 2007 20:29

Rob, if you nip over to the family tree forum, they have one furum dedicated to photos, and people who could help you date yours.

Bee.

Rob

Rob Report 2 Nov 2007 10:30

Angela & Bee
Thank you both for your helpful replies which I will follow up.
Thanks again
Rob