Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

marriage look up please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Desperate Housewife ♥

Desperate Housewife ♥ Report 2 Nov 2007 13:47

Could anyone please help me find the marriage of Eliza Edwards b.1840 aberystwyth and Anton Garstner b. 1841 Baden Baden Germany.
Their first child born c.1866 in Aberystwyth then they moved to Liverpool, back to Aberystwyth then to Manchester. I have tried all these areas with no luck. Hope some one can help. Thanks.

Potty

Potty Report 2 Nov 2007 14:20

Sorry, Karen, I can't find anything either. Perhaps they never married or perhaps married abroad?

Desperate Housewife ♥

Desperate Housewife ♥ Report 2 Nov 2007 14:24

I did wonder that perhaps they never married, maybe because he was german he may not have had the correct paperwork to marry in this country. Some how I don't think I'm going to get anywhere with Anton garstner but thanks for looking for me anyway.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 2 Nov 2007 14:42

What was name of first child?
How do you know it was first one?
Sylvia.

Desperate Housewife ♥

Desperate Housewife ♥ Report 2 Nov 2007 14:49

good question, I can only trace this family back to the 1871 census when their oldest child then was John who was about 5. Tried to trace Eliza further back but Edwards is a very common name in Wales, so thought if I could find her marriage then i would be able to obtain her fathers name and maybe some info about Anton.
Anton was a waiter if that is any help!

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 2 Nov 2007 14:57

Karen, can you put up the census ref for 1871? want to see the surname on the image. It is possible he changed his name to something like Gardener or Gardner to Anglicize it.
Sylvia.

Desperate Housewife ♥

Desperate Housewife ♥ Report 2 Nov 2007 15:05

ref RG10/5561 folio 77 page 53.

Name appears to be Gerstner but is definately Garstner on the birth cert. of daughter Sarah (my g. grandmother) born 1879. If I don't reply to any threads for a while sorry but I have to go get kids from school but will get back to it soon.Thanks.

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Nov 2007 15:30

Have not found marriage but I think you should keep a open mind on spelling.
birth
Sarah Garstner 1879 Jul-Aug-Sep Aberystwyth Cardiganshire
Thomas Gerstner 1868 Jan-Feb-Mar Aberystwyth Cardiganshire
Eliza Gerstner Antony abt 1837 Aberystwyth, Cardiganshire, Wales Wife Aberystwith Cardiganshire
Eliza Gerstner Anton abt 1839 Aberyswith, Cardiganshire, Wales Wife Manchester Lancashire
Eliza Gerstner abt 1843 Aberystruth, Cardiganshire, Wales Head Manchester Lancashire
1901?
Eliza Garstner abt 1850 Aberystwyth Servant Manchester Lancashire
death?
Eliza Garstner abt 1848 1905 Jul-Aug-Sep Prestwich Lancashire

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 2 Nov 2007 16:18

I had no luck with marriage, but must agree with Jim re the spelling of surname.
Never give up, my gt gt grandparents got married after 20 years and 7 children together. He too came from Germany and had left a wife back home!
Regards Sylvia.

Sylvia

Sylvia Report 2 Nov 2007 16:35

Found birth of John.

GERSTNEA John Aberystwith

Dec. 1865 11b 59

Sylvia.

Sorry mistake on page number, I have edited. It is now correct-

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Nov 2007 17:08

birth
Theresa Garstnar 1876 Oct-Nov-Dec Aberystwyth Cardiganshire

Desperate Housewife ♥

Desperate Housewife ♥ Report 2 Nov 2007 17:37

The Eliza Gerstners/Garstners that Jim posted are all the right one. The one in the 1901 census is transcribed as a servant to John Edwards but on closer inspection I think it says Aunt not servant and as her maiden name is Edwards that would make sense.
Maybe sylvia is right and he already had a wife back in Germany, the plot thickens! I'm pretty sure my gran never knew that her grandfather was german, wish she was still with us as she didn't seem to know much about her family at all. thanks for help anyway.