Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Workhouse Death -I can't find a Burial record - an

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carol

Carol Report 2 Nov 2007 22:04

Hi

My ancestor died in 1839 at the Union Workhouse in Witham, Essex but I've checked through the burial records at the local churches (in the Essex Records Office) and can't find any record of him being buried. Would there possibly be no record of his burial if he was a pauper and living in the workhouse? I presume they would have to pay for his burial? Any advice you can give me regarding workhouse deaths/burials would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Carol

Elaine

Elaine Report 2 Nov 2007 22:36

Hi Carol,
My ancestor died in Devizes lunatic asylum, i checked with the local records office in Trowbridge, and they were able to check the asylum death records for me. She was actually buried 'at home' in Warminster.
Your ancestor may be buried at the workhouse, locally, or with other members of his family. You could ask the local records office to check for you. Do you have a death record for him?
Elaine.

Carol

Carol Report 2 Nov 2007 22:51

Hi Elaine

Thanks for your reply. I have a copy of his death certificate which states that he died on the 24/11/1839 at the Union House, Witham of Consumption (signed by the Governor as the informant). I believe his wife died in the 1860's (I've yet to get her death certificate) and I know she was living at the workhouse in 1841 (although I can't find her in 1851 or 1861). I've looked for both their burial records in the Witham area with no luck. Do you think the Records Office hold records for workhouses? They were married in Witham in 1817 so I think they were both originally from Witham but like you say they could have been buried by one of their children/relatives in another area.

Carol

Ann

Ann Report 3 Nov 2007 13:01

Hi Carol
You might find this site useful it lists workhouses, imates etc.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Regards
Ann