Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Isolation Hospital in Over

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Amanda

Amanda Report 3 Nov 2007 05:45

Just wondering i have a marriage cert with Sylvia Jean Burt listed as living at time of marriage at isolation hospital in Over. however her occupation is a ward maid so would that just mean she was a live in employee maybe or would she of been a patient?
How can i find out this information? Trying to put the pieces together of Sylvia as she vanished and now we found her dont know wether its the right person or not! Anyone have any clues as to what this Isolaton hospital may of been? Sylvia didnt die until 1995 in Podsmead.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 Nov 2007 07:43

We need some counties. Where is Over? What dates?

I don't see a death for a Syliva Jean in Gloucester in 1995.

Rose

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 3 Nov 2007 08:35

The most likely explanation is that Sylvia was an employee. At the time the term 'ward maid' was used staff would mainly have 'lived in' at the hospitals. (I was a student nurse in London in 1965 and even as late as that we were not allowed to 'live out' during our first year! )

The isolation hospitals would have nursed people with all the infectious diseases for which there is now immunisation and treatments available. It is hard for us today to imagine just how many children and adults died of whooping cough, measles, scarlet fever, polio etc.

Heather

Heather Report 3 Nov 2007 09:54

Im sure it means she was an employee. People wouldnt be getting married when they were apparently very ill and in isolation!! :)

BrendafromWales

BrendafromWales Report 3 Nov 2007 12:15

As far as I know Over is in Cheshire,as I have rellies from there.There may be another though.
Brenda

lazymazy

lazymazy Report 3 Nov 2007 19:01

Podsmead and Over are both in Gloucester and Over did have an isolation hospital.

http://www.institutions.org.uk/hospitals/info/gloucester_epidemics.htm

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Nov 2007 21:02

Based on other threads posted by Amanda......I suspect this may be the death reg

Name: Sylvia Joan Hoare
Birth Date: 13 Sep 1917
Death Registration Month/Year: Feb 1995
Age at death (estimated): 77
Registration district: Gloucester
Inferred County: Gloucestershire
Register number: A51

As the address she gave at marriage was the hospital, it was obviously where she living..........had she been a patient, there would have been no mention of the hospital.........only of her place of permanent residence.

As her occupation was given as 'Ward Maid'......she was a hospital employee.

Incidentally, my late brother in law was a patient at Over Hospital, near Gloucester, around about 1950...........he had TB.

Reg

Amanda

Amanda Report 5 Nov 2007 11:23

Thanks guys I have had major computer problems lately and couldnt get on! All i had was Over and had no idea where it was, I couldnt understand if she was a patient how she would be married however we were told that she spent years in a hospital which would make sence if she worked there thanks again!