Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Adams Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andrea

Andrea Report 4 Nov 2007 12:34

Hope you can help.

I have just received the marriage certificate for my great grandparents Herbert Walter Brittin and Sarah Adams on 31 Aug 1902. I am trying to find out more about Sarah.

The marriage certificate states Sarah Adams was 23 and a spinster at her marriage in St Mary's, Somers Town (?), London, living at 2 Clarendon St. Her father was John Adams (deceased), a Coach Painter. The witnesses were John William Adams, Jane Adams and Harry O Brien.

Sarah should therefore have been born abt 1879/1880 but I can't find her birth (I believe her middle name may have been Ann).

I can't find her on the 1901 or 1891 census'.

I think I may have found a possible 1881 census where there is a Sarah Adams age 1, living in Clerkenwell, London with her father John Adams (45) a Coach Painter, mother Sarah and brothers and sisters including a John. The father John was born in Bristol. I have then found this family in 1861 and 1851.

Trouble is I don't want to go down a rabbit hole here. How can I be sure this is the right family if I can't find Sarah's birth certificate?

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Jane Gateshead Girl

Jane Gateshead Girl Report 4 Nov 2007 12:43

Andrea
Could this be the birth record?
England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about Sarah Ann Adams
Name: Sarah Ann Adams
Year of Registration: 1880
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
District: St Olave Southwark (1837-1901)
County: London, Surrey
Volume: 1d
Page: 332 (click to see others on page)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Nov 2007 12:44

Just wondering if this is the mother in 1891

Name: Sarah Adams
[Sarah Wilson]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Relation: Head
Mother's Name: Mary Ann
Where born: Clerkenwell, London, England

Civil Parish: Bloomsbury St George
Ecclesiastical parish: Bloomsbury St George
County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: St Giles
Sub-registration district: St George Bloomsbury
ED, institution, or vessel: 1
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Sarah Adams 47
Thomas Adams 18
William Adams 6
Harry Wilson 21
Mary Ann Wilson 49

Age and place of birth matches for Sarah with the earlier census and does have a son Thomas of the right age

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Nov 2007 12:50

1891 have you ruled this one out

Name: Sarah Adams
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1882
Relation: Inmate
Where born: London, England

Civil Parish: Watford
Ecclesiastical parish: Leavesden All Saints
Town: Leavesden
County/Island: Hertfordshire
Registration district: Watford
Sub-registration district: Watford
ED, institution, or vessel: St Pancras School

Andrea

Andrea Report 4 Nov 2007 12:54

Thanks Jane, I have no idea why I didn't find that birth record. It's a definite possibility and I'll order the cert.

Glitter baby - thanks, that is well worth following up, I know father John was deceased at the time of Sarah (daughter's) marriage so may well have died between the 1881 and 1891 census'. I'll have another trawl though the death records.

Still don't know where Sarah disappeared to between 1881 and 1902 though!

Andrea

Andrea Report 4 Nov 2007 12:57

Hi again Glitter baby (we crossed messages).

I did see that one but kind of ruled it out because she seemed to have such a large family I thought it unlikely she would have ended up in the Workhouse alone. I think one of the witnesses at her wedding may have been her brother (John William) so I just thought tha surely one of them would have taken her in? Probably not a very safe assumption but I've parked it for now.

Andrea

Andrea Report 15 Dec 2007 16:27

Hi all,

After some more advice please!

I ordered the birth certificate for the Sarah Ann Adams found above but unfortunately it is the wrong one.

My mum has now found a letter that Sarah sent in 1965 congratulating my mum and dad on the birth of my brother. In it she said that she had celebrated her birthday on Dec 6th. Unfortunately it didn't state how old she was.

On her wedding day (August 31 1902), she states she is 23 years old. So if she was 23 in December 1901, she would have been born in 1878?

I have found her on the 1881 census (the only census I can find her on!) and she is declared as being 1. This was why I originally thought she was born in 1880. Her place of birth is given as Clerkenwell, Middlesex.

I have gone back to the birth records and found the following possibles:

Sarah Ann Adams 1878 Apr-May-Jun Hackney Greater London, London, Middlesex
View Record

Sarah Ann Adams 1878 Jul-Aug-Sep Bethnal Green Greater London, London, Middlesex
View Record

Sarah Ann Adams 1879 Jul-Aug-Sep Bethnal Green Greater London, London, Middlesex
View Record

Sarah Anne Adams 1879 Oct-Nov-Dec Mile End Old Town London, Middlesex

I'm thinking the1878 ones are probably too early because if she was born in December she couldn't have been registered in quarters 2 & 3. I think maybe the Bethnal Green one might be my best bet but I would have thought the registration should have been 1st quarter not 2nd?

Trying to avoid another mistake so just wondered if anyone else has a view?

Thank you!

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 15 Dec 2007 17:21

If she was born 6th Dec 1879 then she would probably have been registered 4th qtr 1879 as in the Mile End one. Somebody born then would have been 1 on the 1881 census.

Andy

Andrea

Andrea Report 16 Dec 2007 10:53

Thanks Andy,

I was thinking that there wouldn't have been a huge amount of time left to register in that quarter but I suppose they could have registered it immediately.

Perhaps I'll try ordering that one first.

I get the feeling Sarah could end up being expensive! AND I still can't find her on any other census' than the 1881 one!

Andrea