Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help on tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shona

Shona Report 4 Nov 2007 21:59

hi can anyone advise me if its totally safe to have your tree on here. Im terrified about internet fraud and was wondering if its safe or if you just use this for research

thanks
shona

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 4 Nov 2007 22:02

The tree I keep on here only contains the very basic info. All the detailed bits are kept on my off-line tree.

You can always show you - your parents etc as "Living Surname" which would lessen the risk of personal info being available.

Jill

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 4 Nov 2007 22:03

It's safe.

Just make sure that you keep the names of all living people disguised.

I have mine hidden under things like XLiving XLiving or other such made up names.

Keep only what you are happy to share on here and only open your tree to people you want to see it.

If you prefer you don't have to open your tree but can just share details with people you choose.

Sue

Shona

Shona Report 4 Nov 2007 22:06

thanks lol

Huia

Huia Report 4 Nov 2007 23:20

Who would want to pretend to be me? They wouldnt gain anything financially. But they are welcome to my problems if they want them.