Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

where would i find out if jane had claimed any ben

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 6 Nov 2007 11:56

hi i wonder if someone could tell me how i could find out if someone had claimed money from the poorhouse or any other insitute.
i have this family it consists of jane ainscough marrying peter aspinall and having 3 children peter dies young and leaves 3 children . jane remarries to john nugent and has 2 more children and 2 of her children to peter die . then her husband disappears off the face of the earth and 2 of her children end up in the workhouse and jane remarries once more to thomas lamb but doesnt take the jane ainscough marries peter aspinall
children with her

1877 jane ainscough marries peter aspinall
1878 sarah ann aspinall born 12 smithy street
1881 james aspinall born and census says living back ellesmere street
1883 ralph aspinall born
1884 peter aspinall dies age 27 in 10 smithy street leigh
1885 jane marries john nugent 10 smithy street leigh
1885 ralph aspinall dies age 2 years
1886 mary jane nugent born 10 smithy street ( same address that peter aspinall died in so jane must have kept the house on. i wonder if john nugent had been a lodger )
1888 james aspinall dies age 7 years
1889 edward nugent born in atherton workhouse - what had happened to john nugent and what had happened to the house
1891 - jane and her children - sarah ann , mary jane and edward are living off pepper alley no sign of john nugent
1896 sarah ann marries john o'neill
1901 mary jane and edward in atherton workhouse and jane moves away and marries thomas lamb in ashton under lyme

wonder what happened between 1889 and 1901 and i cant find a death for john nugent at all so i wonder if jane was a bigamist ???

is there anywhere i could go to see if jane had claimed any money or benefit. the town in question was leigh lancashire that is where all the above occured
sorry if this a ramble but any help would be great
no records of the inmates of atherton workhouse exist
linda

Heather

Heather Report 6 Nov 2007 12:22

You could google for the records office local to these events and see what info they hold in their archives? Or even email them with your query.

Carter

Carter Report 6 Nov 2007 12:24

thanks heather i have done that but not got any reply thanks linda