Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another brick wall to be demolished.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 6 Nov 2007 18:04

Hi All,

I have been very unsuccessful in tracing this branch of the Newberry family.

George Newberry (b1831) married a Mary Anne Smith (b1838), 05 Dec 1859 at the Parish Church, Llanstadwell, Pembrokeshire. MC

Children:-
Ann Newberry b1860, Briton Ferry, Glamorgan died 1869 at the Union Workhouse, Swansea., aged 9. Informant father, George Newberry. DC

Esther Newberry, b 1864, 25 White Street, Birkenhead.
Father - George Newberry.
Mother - Mary Ann Newberry, formerly Smith. BC

1861 Census records
RG9; Piece: 1766; Folio: 39; Page: 36
George, his wife Mary Ann and their daughter Ann Newbury are all living with his family in Gloucester St Mary de Crypt

Ann Newbury , dau, 1, Briton-Ferry, Glamorgan

1871 census records
RG10; Piece: 5455; Folio: 48; Page: 6
Living at 31 Back Street, Swansea
Mary Ann Newbrey (1839) – Unmarried, Neath Abbey,
Esther Newbrey (1864) – Birkenhead, daughter

I can find no further records for Esther, Mary Ann or George after the 1871 census.

I've searched all records I can think of under Newbury,Newberry and Newbrey and come up with nothing.

Many thanks
Paul

Ivy

Ivy Report 6 Nov 2007 21:04

Hi Paul

If George had died, then Mary may have remarried. It was then quite common for the children to take the stepfather's surname.

With this in mind, I tried searching for Esther (surname left blank) born 1864 +/- 2 years.

There are more than 5,000 in England in 1881, so I specified Birk* as the place of birth, which shortened the list considerably. None looked obviously relevant, however.

Doing the same for the Welsh 1881 census brought over just short of 500. So far as I could see, all entries specified either England or Wales, so I limited the search to those born in England. This is a manageable 35. Have a look and see if you can find any that are a reasonable match. One that caught my eye was Esther Davies, born in Liverpool, a pauper inmate in the Swansea workhouse, since by 1871 the family were in Swansea. Alternatively, there are a few that are born in Birkenhead.

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 6 Nov 2007 22:16

Hello Ivy,
Many thanks for your time and trouble. I will now follow up your leads and see where that takes me. Currently I am awaiting newspaper reports from Swansea Police & Crime Records on a Mary Ann Newbury, drunk and disorderly dated April 1875 and a theft case which mentions a Mary Ann Newberry dated May 1875.
I'm hoping that this is her and there may be further information.

Once again many thanks, at least I now have something to check through.
Bye
Paul