Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I need help to understand why...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katherine

Katherine Report 6 Nov 2007 19:15

Does anyboy know why adoption files are closed and are sealed when the adopted person dies,Ihave hit a brick wall trying to find out about my mum,and its so frustrating!

♥~Billy's Mum ~♥

♥~Billy's Mum ~♥ Report 6 Nov 2007 19:32

Hi Katherine,
I did not know this.... I am adopted and although I have not gone through the "Social Worker" needing to talk to me stuff to have a look... I am concerned to think that my children will be unable to ever see the files when they are old enough should they want to.... So they "close" the file like the adopted person never existed... Thats terrible....I hope someone on here can help x Good luck x
Julie x

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Nov 2007 19:58

I have never heard of this before. I would check this out with the people on the adoption thread, it sounds like stalling tactics to me. If you look for the thread "adoption hints and hugs" someone there should be able to offer help and advice.

Katherine

Katherine Report 6 Nov 2007 20:05

Hi Billy's Mum
I think my situation is different to yours,as in that i am not adopted but i have found out that my mum was,long story but she died when i was 7.i have just found that she was adopted ,and i want to know more,mainly for my children as well as myself,but because she has died,when i contacted the registration office,they told me that the adoption files close with the death of the adopted person,which to my mind is crazy!!
kathy

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Nov 2007 20:25

It is quite true ,adoption information will not be given to any other than the adoptee,,,,,so if an adopted person dies then the file is closed to alll other parties,,but exceptions are made should the adoptee have blood siblings seeking them,certain information can be given but has to be done through the proper channels but till a search is made onbehalf of a blood sibling any agency or department wont know the adoptee has died,,,,,,,,,

Adoption files are never destroyed,,,,,,,,so if you are an adoptee and havnt got copies then do so because your suviving family will not be granted access,,,,,,

ann

ann Report 6 Nov 2007 20:31

My mum is aged 78 and was adopted when she was three.My mum refuses to see a social worker so she can look at her file.She met up with all her family when she was in her 20's and knows her parents died.She said as she already knows all the ins and outs of her adoption she does not see the need for a social worker.So that means if she says no then none of us as her children can apply later on? Annie

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Nov 2007 20:43

Quite true Annie you will not be given access,,nor any information released,files from over 50+years ago dont contain the amount of detailed information as they today as mainly only Welfare was in involved and it was primilary stuff,,,,,,,,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Nov 2007 20:46

There isn't always a requirement to see a social worker....as long as the adoptee is prepared for whatever may be in the file.
I know someone who accessed their's without counselling when in their late 50s.

My friend's daughter would like to know who her natural grandparents were but her late father's adoption file is closed to her.

Gwyn

Eileen

Eileen Report 6 Nov 2007 21:45

The adoption files are confidential because when a girl/lady had their child adopted they were promised that they would never be able to be found. Going back quite a number of years now, if you had a child out of wedlock you were looked on as a 'scarlet woman' your reputation was ruined, you were a fallen woman, no-one would want 'damaged goods' .....etc, you get the picture. It was only really the advent of birth control and the swinging sixties, that have made us 'bastards' slightly more acceptable. I can use this term in its proper context, because I am illegitimate, i.e. born without the recognition of the law. Even when I was engaged in 1965, I had great difficulty getting birth control just before I was married. The Family Planning Clinic, wanted to see proof that my wedding was in the next few weeks.
You can see that in those days, and before, a girl would be terrified of a child turning up years in the future and thus giving away her dreadful secret.
This is why the files are closed. However recently it has been possible to attempt to trace. There is a Government run contact register. For a fee you can register as wanting to find, and as wanting to be found. If you are amazingly lucky you might get matched up. Even more recently, three Christmas's ago, there has been a slight relaxation in siblings wanting to find halfs that have been adopted. You can do it through various organisations, like Norcap, it is not cheap. If you were adopted before 1975, I think was the date, then you are supposed to be given councelling. I find this rather odd, as us oldies have known about things for a very long time usually, however, thats what Parliament in its wisdom, decided.
As someone else suggested, do go and read the 'adoption hints and hugs ' thread, started by Jess, some time ago, and now continued by Bacardi Slice no Ice........ there is a lot to read, and many people on there will help you and give you ideas. Feel free to send me a pm. if you want more help. Just click on my name on the board.
PS
Still looking for my full sister Jennifer Ann, born 22nd September 1945 in Woking, Surrey, our mother lived in Bisley.
Eileen
birth name

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 7 Nov 2007 00:39

Sadly it's correct... only an adoptee can access their adoption file.
My mother relinquished my brother to adoption and I have NO rights to any of the information in the adoption file... even asking a simple question which had a direct impact on me, I was refused the answer. I'm told that only my brother can view the file and he can pass on the information to me if he wants to. As he doesn't wish contact I have no hope of finding out any information. Should my brother die before he changes his mind regarding contact, then I will never know.
When the new adoption laws were being changed each and every English and Welsh person with a vote was given the chance of input to it's changes... only a very few did. Of course you had to be in 'adoption circles' in order to know that you could do it (as an Australian I have no vote or voice) It will be a while before the adoption laws are amended again, but when it does you will get another chance, so keep your ears to the ground.
This is cold comfort to you all, but where I live in Australia the children of adoptees have the same legal rights as their adopted parents... so it can be done.
Good luck to all in search and reunion.
Cheers Gerry