Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need some advice please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda G

Linda G Report 7 Nov 2007 23:19

I have been trying to find my O.H's mothers family.

She had quite a few siblings and have found eight of their births registered between 1918 and 1933.

One is missing. I have found his marriage in 1956.
Royston Trowbridge. O.H does remember his Mum mentioning a Royston so am am reasonably sure it's the right one. Not that common a name

Would it have been likely that a birth would not have been registered at that time? All other 8 children were.

Linda

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 7 Nov 2007 23:25

All birth after 1875 (?) had to be registered.

RobG

RobG Report 7 Nov 2007 23:39

"Had to be registered" and actually were are not always the same !!
However, it may be worth trying local sources - baptisms or local registry office, as it may have got lost between the local office and the central GRO index. I have a couple like that.

Rob

Linda G

Linda G Report 7 Nov 2007 23:51

Thanks Rob,

At least it's the one with the more unusual name

Linda

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Nov 2007 01:08

Perhaps he is listed under his mother's maiden name.

Rose

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Nov 2007 05:00

You could try looking on the county bmd

Find it with your search engine, or go to www.ukbmd.org.uk and search for your county in the column to the left of the screen.

Some, but not all counties have bmd information on the web and may have ones that missed getting down to GRO!

sylvia

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Nov 2007 09:09

If you get the marriage cert you found for 1956 it will give his age so you can work back.

Have looked from 1934-1937 but not found him.

had a look for the marriage and see it was Isle of Wight was that were all th e family were born?