Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What month were the Census's held

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beth

Beth Report 8 Nov 2007 09:06

Hi
I have seen for one of the census's it was held on the 31st of March. Were all of the census's held then ie in March? If so were they held on the one night or over several nights?
Thanks
Beth

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 8 Nov 2007 09:40

Wow Christine....what knowledge!!

Phillip

Phillip Report 8 Nov 2007 12:31

Hi

Just wondering when do we hope to have the 1911 census records available online for research?

Phil

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥

♥Deetortrainingnewfys♥ Report 8 Nov 2007 13:49

I think there is talk about releasing them next year, but nothing definate so we will have to keep our fingers crossed!

Dee

GP

GP Report 8 Nov 2007 17:59

Christine,

Forget Christmas Cracker, go for Christmas Angel!

I was going to ask this same question regarding Census months so your information has been bookmarked and is very much appreciated.

I have recently read that the 1911 census is likely to be released in 2011, possibly earlier for Genealogical Societies. Apologies, but can't remember where I saw this. Makes sense to release it in this way after the 1901 census debacle; a more spectacular crash we do not want!

One of the eagerly awaiting :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Nov 2007 21:44

To correct a typo of Christine's, the 1841 census was 6/6/1841. This and all subsequent censuses took place on a Sunday night (7/6/1841 was the Monday).

For Ireland, there was a botched census in 1813, then they fell into line with the rest of the UK until 1921, not that it matters for most of those years. Unfortunately, few 19th century Irish census returns have survived, but the returns for the whole of Ireland for 1901 and 1911 are fairly complete, and can be viewed at the National Archives of Ireland, Bishop Street, Dublin 8, Republic of Ireland. Those for the 1901 census of Northern Ireland only can be viewed at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, 66 Balmoral Avenue, Belfast BT9 6NY. The 1921 census in England/Wales was postponed by "industrial unrest". Of course in Ireland there was more than just industrial unrest, and their census was delayed until 18/4/1926 (in both Irelands). There was a short form census in NI in 1937, then they synched up in 1951 with the rest of the UK (except they also had a census in 1966) - I don't know the exact 1937/66 dates. I don't know, but I would presume the Scottish 1931 and NI 1937 censuses survived - it will eventually be a pleasant change for the Irish to have better records than the English, not that I'll ever see it. (Scottish census returns for 1841 to 1901 are held by the General Register Office (Scotland) and can be seen at New Register House, Edinburgh EH1 3YT. The returns can also be accessed online at: www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk .)

From ScotlaandsPeople:
To reduce the risk of double entries or omissions, the whole exercise had to be completed in a single day. To this end, Scotland was divided into enumeration districts, based largely on the existing parishes. Larger or more populous parishes were sub-divided to enable the enumerator to gather all his information within the day.

Census enumerators were usually schoolmasters, who were deemed best equipped for the task. They were each assigned an enumeration district and distributed a schedule to every household in that district before census night. They collected the completed schedules the following day, checked the details and copied them into an enumerator's book. These were checked by the Sheriff Substitute and then despatched to the Registrar General’s office in London. The census information that we see derives from these enumerators' transcript books, not the original schedules, which were destroyed.

The 1861 census is the first census conducted by the office of the Registrar General for Scotland, established under the 1854 Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Scotland) Act. (The gathering of Scottish census information in 1841 and 1851 had taken place under Home Office jurisdiction, organised in Scotland by the sheriffs and chief magistrates and collected largely by schoolteachers in the various parishes).

The 1861 census utilised the system of registration districts and network of local registrars established by the 1854 Act, for its data collection. Census enumerators were appointed and assigned a specific area to cover ...

Statutory refistration began 1/1/1855 in Scotland. For Ireland the date was 1/1/64, although non-catholic marriage registration began 1/4/1845. In 1909 the enumerators books for the 1841 and 1851 Scottish censuses were transferred to Edinburgh at the request of the Scottish Registrar General. As there was no such post until 1855, these earlier Scottish censuses had been organized from London. Certainly since 1841, Scottish and English census dates coincide. English censuses followed the same general pattern as above at the household level.

So this answers the other part of Beth's question. (As a comment, some Canadian censuses took a month to complete, primarily due to difficulties in travel in the more rural (i.e., wilderness) areas. Even today, there are areas where it's not necessary to be registered in order to vote - it's just too impractical.)

(From ScotlandsPeople) At the beginning of each enumeration book, the enumerator described in detail the area covered by the book. When you view a census image, you may also choose to view, at no extra cost, the header page of the enumeration book in which that particular entry can be found.
(Ancestry): This page is also available for Ancestry subscribers, but I only know England for sure. At the bottom left of some page, there a list of the ~40 counties; starting there, you can drill down to get the enumerators initial page.

mgnv

mgnv Report 8 Nov 2007 21:46

I'd always thought the censuses were under a 100y closure rule - but that's not quite true:
In 1908 the first Old Age Pensions Act was passed, and for some elderly applicants who could provide neither birth, baptismal nor marriage certificates, entries in the census returns were accepted as proof of age. At first, the General Register Office was reluctant to provide this service, contending that this was not the purpose for which the census had been taken, and that there were great practical difficulties in searching these early enumeration books. Ultimately, though, special forms were provided for applications for searches in the census.

Source: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/bicentenary/pdfs/registrars.pdf

Beth

Beth Report 9 Nov 2007 06:37

What can I say - thank you so very much Christine. I realised I have been the wrong year for my GM. Will be starting over. Thanks again

Joanne

Joanne Report 9 Nov 2007 09:40

Wow this is really helpful

Thanks.

jo x

Joy

Joy Report 9 Nov 2007 09:52

I gave a nudge to my thread that gives census dates, and other information from other sites about census release.

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Nov 2007 13:32

Christine

I originally had the sources, but my post was too long and I managed to lose them when I messed around splitting the post into two and didn't notice.

For 6/6/1841 SCT census date, drill down via: ScotlandsPeople - What's in the Database - Record types - 1841 census
NB for 1841: Enumerators were instructed to round down the ages of persons 15 years and over to the nearest five years. Hence a given age of 28 would be recorded as 25, one of 63 as 60 and so on. If a person lied about their age, this, combined with the rounding down, could severely distort the actual age. You will find instances where enumerators did not adhere to this instruction on age and inserted the given age.

Also 6/6/1841 for ENG/WAL from http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc/pdfs/census_returns.pdf