Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

No fathers registered

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Nov 2007 09:51

Hi im stuck. Found the marriage of my great grandparents sent off for the cert. convinced I'd be able to find out the names of their fathers. no names registered on the marriage cert. in addition to this I cant find a birth registration for either of ggp in the year they were supposed to be born although have found birth registrations for three years earlier.
I would be grateful for suggestions as to where to go from here.

Pete

Pete Report 8 Nov 2007 09:58

As you have the certificate you will have stated ages at time of marriage and address. Can you locate them in any census either before or after marriage?

The absence of a father's name suggested that they could have been illegitimate. If they were married in a church rather than a registry office you may be able to view the original details of the marriage in the parish register to ensure that the certificate contains all the information that the register holds

You could always post their details here and let others search around a little

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Nov 2007 10:16

Thanks Pete. The parish register may not have much to offer as an overly keen ministers wife had a bit of a clearout thinking the papers were too old and not useful. Hopefully the bits im seeking may be intact. I located ggm in the census and have located 2 people with the same name as ggf both could be possible. their ages suggest they were born 1874 and 1888 the references i found were for 1870 or71 and 1890. thanks thats given me something to go on.

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 8 Nov 2007 10:20

Sorry ! The ministers wife had a bit of a clear out. I've gone all hot !!

Pete

Pete Report 8 Nov 2007 10:22

Perhaps they differences in their ages was reduced slightly when they declared their ages at time of marriage. From what you have said there was at least 14 years between them.

Have you been able to find their deaths as their age at time of death could assist.

Gillian

Gillian Report 8 Nov 2007 10:37

The age at death on their death certs tie in with their ages on the marriage cert. My one remaining relative confirmed their year of death and their ages Her father died the year after she was born and she has no further information. The census indicated that their was no father present for either of them. The other interesting detail is that this couple had three children, the 1st born in 1913, followed by 1921 1n1925 the maiden name on the 1st cert is different to the 2nd two. its the same as their grans surname but the christian names remain the same. Although both women were living in the same house in the census details but their are 30yrs between them. hope that makes sense I,ll check the parish registers as a next step and then maybe post their details and ask for help.