Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Right.....Proffession...Sorted.Thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 8 Nov 2007 11:17

Might be a daft question.... but would I be right in thinking if someone is a compositor in 1915, then its a fairly safe bet that he would have been that in 1901?
Thanks in advance

Heather

Heather Report 8 Nov 2007 11:19

Depends on his age I guess - you mean a compositor in printing? It would be a good skilled job so no doubt an apprenticeship would be served.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 8 Nov 2007 11:19

I would not have a bet on that unless it was even money

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 8 Nov 2007 11:21

In 1901 he would have been approx 47,

Heather

Heather Report 8 Nov 2007 11:24

Then it would seem likely he wouldnt suddenly change his job at that age :) But nothing is every set in stone in life :)

What is the problem - you cant find someone on the 1901 who was a compositor on his death cert or something?

~Twiglet~

~Twiglet~ Report 8 Nov 2007 11:26

Hi Heather, On his sons marriage certificate it states him as a compositor, the only person with the same name as him and his son I can find in the 1901 census has him as printers compositor, I am edging my bets as to wether this is the right one or not? I did the search to include all counties...

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 8 Nov 2007 11:57

My husband's grandfather was a compositor, but when he reached the age of retirement, he was given the job of clearing up the print shop.

No doubt to allow for younger people to come in.

As he had had a lot of children, and educated them all with apprenticeships, no doubt needed the money after he retired.

Heather

Heather Report 8 Nov 2007 12:50

No, its the same job - no problem with that!