Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

withholding "living" relations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 8 Nov 2007 15:57

I know under "my Account" I can withhold living relations, which I have done, but my own details remain viewable.

When I have viewed some other people's trees they have managed to hide themselves as well.

How could I do this? I only ask as someone has added some of my rellies to their tree, including me! And I asked them to remove me about a week ago, and haven't had a response.

thanks

Kate

Kate Report 8 Nov 2007 17:04

Apparently, even if you click to hide living relations, they will appear as "Living Relation" when someone views your tree, but when someone searches using the box at the top of the page, the original names will come up anyway.

Sometimes I think the only way is to change the names in your tree so that each forename becomes "Living" and each surname becomes "Relation", or something similar.

Diane

Diane Report 8 Nov 2007 18:33

Kate... typical.. I was suspicious about the reliability of the program withholding data!

mgnv

mgnv Report 9 Nov 2007 00:36

"Living Relatives" sort of hidden.

Suppose the real unfiltered tree is very Scottish, and everyone is MacSomebody, except Violet MacDuff married Percival Smith, and had 1 son + 1 daur. Now the filtered tree suppresses loads of MacWhatsits, and Percy + Vi's kids, calling them "living relations". If I search the tree for "Smith" I'll get 3 hits: Percy Smith b 1900 + two living rellies.
I click on the second Living rel, and my tree centres on the daur, say. If I try "Violet Smith", I'll get no hits unless the daur is named after her mum, then I'll get a hit - naturally, I'ld try Percival Smith next, hoping I'll get Percy Smith b 1900 + one living rellie. I can the try searching for Percival Smith b 1916, b1917, etc until I pin down his dob, and similarly for his sister (although I suppose searching for Smith b1916, etc, then seeing who gets centred is more efficient - but I didn't think of it while experimenting - one GR member had given me access to their tree which had a branch that I knew - not that unusual when you think about it - and they'd suppressed some rellies as living that I could name beforehand, although it turns out we did disagree on one dob).