Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Death Certificate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ann

Ann Report 8 Nov 2007 20:44

I have found 3 possible deaths for my gg grandfather, all the correct name and district, between 1838 and 1839.
William Bowman Ripon, Yorkshire.
Is there anything I can do other than take 'Pot Luck'

Victoria

Victoria Report 8 Nov 2007 20:49

Does the age at death shed any light on the situation?

BW

Jane

Whoops forgot no age put on in those days!

Ann

Ann Report 8 Nov 2007 20:55

Hi Jane,

I didn't realise the age was mentioned anywhere. Where can I look?
Their twin children were born in 1813 and I think the wife died in 1840. If I sent for her certificate, would that help in any way?
Sorry for all the questions but I am really stuck on this.

Regards
Ann

Victoria

Victoria Report 8 Nov 2007 21:16

Hi Ann,

The age is not listed until about 1870 and then for instance it say 1849 to 1877, I did not read your message fully before I replied. It is going to probably be pot luck. I don't think his wife's death cert will give you any details on him.

Sorry, you may be able to use as a reference check husband of -------- but I am not overly sure they gave that type of info so early on. Have you tried parish records?

BW

Jane

Jay

Jay Report 8 Nov 2007 21:28

.Hi , If you put the criteria you want for the correct chappie then the staff normally check to find the one that fits the bill. For instance,
`husband of Jane` and his age as far as you have gauged it.
I put the ones that are possibles to help the staff to narrow the search down for them Jay.

Ann

Ann Report 8 Nov 2007 21:36

Hi Jane and Jay,

Thanks for the advise.
I am going to send for the wife's certificate at the same time, so maybe the staff will look for 'matching partner'

Good luck in to you both in your hunting.

Ann

Ann

Ann Report 8 Nov 2007 21:40

Jane,
Yes, I've checked the parish records for birth and marriage, but nothing in the area of the children's birth.

Thanks again
Ann

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 10 Nov 2007 00:52

Hi Ann,

I would find out which office holds the burial records for local churches at that time, and contact them. Or even the actual church. Some people out there are really helpful, I've had loads of stuff that I have never had to pay for, and often they have given me more information that I didn't know they had.

If I get a good hit, I usually send a donation of £10 or so to cover their expenses.

Margaret