Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find owner of WW1 medals

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 19:36

HI, I have in my possesion 2 WW1 medals for a Henry Britton. I have been told I am related to him but, that's as far as I know. Can't trace him anywhere in my family history. Any ideas as to where I can find out who they belong to?

Many thanks

Mary

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Nov 2007 19:39

The medals should have his regimental number on them - can you post the details please?

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 19:44

Hi Ann,

I have had a good look and there is no regimental number on them that I can see. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place!! Can you help?

Regards

Mary

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Nov 2007 19:47

Who gave them to you?

Rose

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Nov 2007 19:51

If they are the Victory and British Medals - the most common -, the number should be on the rim. Have a look at the documentsonline site, which has photos of the types of medal, and then you should be able to identify what they are.

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 19:54

Hi Ladies,

My mother (now deceased) had them in her possesion for as long as I can remember. I will have a look at the web site you have given me to see what they are. Many thanks

Mary

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 20:11

Hi,

Have looked on the site and can see the British War Medal but, can't find the other one which is.......For war service Mercantile-Marine 1914 -1918.

Any help?

Many thanks

Mary

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Nov 2007 20:19

He must have been in the Merchant Navy. There may be some records at Kew.or if he served after WW1, you could contact Southampton Archives as they might have something on him.

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 20:23

Thanks Ann,

I think I will try Southampton.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Mary

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Nov 2007 20:24

Just checking the pension records on Ancestry. Any idea where Henry was from?

Rose

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 20:29

Hi Rose,

As far as I have been told he was from the Gloucestershire, possibly Bristol area, supposedly from the family of the Britton Shoe Company or Factory. Much appreciate your looking for me.

Regards

Mary

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Nov 2007 20:32

Here's a bit about the medal:

http://www.firstworldwar.com/atoz/mercantilemedal.htm

Rose

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 20:33

Thanks Rose,

I will have a look at the site now.

Regards

Mary

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 9 Nov 2007 20:34

I see some from Bristol but none in the shoe trade or the navy.

Rose

maryann

maryann Report 9 Nov 2007 20:41

Hi Rose,
Just looked on the site and printed off the details, nice to see what the colour of the ribbons were. I don't know if he was in the shoe trade, I think it was his family and I have no way of knowing if it is even the same family but, I'm pretty sure he was from Gloucester.

Many thanks

Mary