Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP THREAD

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shona

Shona Report 10 Nov 2007 08:36

OK WHAT FREE WEBSITES ARE THERE TO TRACE YOUR ANCESTORS

I KNOW ABOUT ANCESTRY BUT WORKING OT EXPENSIVE TO MAKE MY BRANCHES LOOK THICKER

IVE ALSO TRIED TYPING NAMES IN GOOGLE BUT NOTHING

THANKS
SHONA

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Nov 2007 08:59

FreeBMD is exactly as its called FREE ,It has Births Marriages and Death GRO Refs. altho its still work in progress transcribing the indexes.

Shirley

Pete

Pete Report 10 Nov 2007 09:56

It really depends what part of the country and what period of time.

As mentioned previously, FreeBMD but there are also some census transcriptions on the FreeCEN website.
http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Check out the GENUKI web pages for details of any transcriptions which exist online.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Nov 2007 11:28

ukbmd has info for individual counties.............not all have contributed, but always worth checking

Ancestry costs £79.95 for total access for a year....all censuses, and all bmd's

Reg

David

David Report 10 Nov 2007 12:11

Hi Shona,
I also thought that Ancestry was to expensive, however within the first year of being a Genes member I realised that I had spent over £100 on credits.
Last year for my birthday I asked my family for donations, and had half of the cost paid for me.
I find it invaluable especially for census records, because it enables you to effectively 'walk the streets' - looking at all the residents.
I have since found 4 branches of my family all living in the same road in London.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Nov 2007 12:17

Like David, I get my Ancestry subscription paid for me for Christmas. Hubby finds it much easier to buy it for me than tramp round the shops looking for something that I would probably take back.

The cost is little more than £1.50p per week and I wouldn't be without it - even though I probably opnly use about 10% of the information on there.

Kath. x

Sean Subexpired

Sean Subexpired Report 10 Nov 2007 12:23

Family history *is* an expensive business unless you are very lucky to find someone who has done the work for you. I rejoined GR three weeks ago and have already met two people who have gone along completely the wrong path by assuming that information is correct and complete on the free, volunteer run sites. Don't get me wrong, the free sites do a great job but at the moment they only give you clues where to make further research.