Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcom import and retaining source information.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

damandblast

damandblast Report 11 Nov 2007 15:29

Up until last week, I had FTM2006 and 1193 people, plus all their source data to support their place in my family tree, on one of my PC's at home. I periodicaly backup the data by creating a gedcom and importing it into here, IGI and ancestry.

Last week my PC went to heaven :-( along with my FTM program and I thanked God that I had exported a recent file into here. My GR version was the nearest match to my main tree so.....

The question is, when I import this data back into my newly repaired PC, will the gedcom remember my source information too or will I need to rebuild that part of my data? Has anybody any experience of this at all?

The most annoying thing is that I have recently moved house and have packed away my original FTM installation discs!!! Cannot find them at all so I suspect I will have to re-purchase them before I can rebuild my own tree :-( Out of curiosity, are they many imporvements between 2006 and the newer editions? Is it worth paying a bit more out to get an upgrade?

Di

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 11 Nov 2007 17:09

Source data should be included as it is only recorded as text.

Re downloading a trial version......only do that if you want to spend more than buying a full working copy.

A trial version will not allow you to create, import or export a GEDCOM file until you buy an unlock code (currently £29.99)

BTW, if you make a copy of the .FTW files from your hard drive when your programme/pc are up and running then you will be saving the entire file (images, photographs etc. GEDCOM files are text only so you won't get back any prized photographs when you import the GEDCOM).

V16 is an upgraded version 0f 2006 and FTM 2008 is the latest version.

V16 is really no different to 2006 in ordinary use so most folks stick with 2006 (available online for less than £10).

Avoid FTM 2008 unless you want a programme that will make you tear your hair out, reviews for it have been pretty poor and the general opinion is avoid it at all costs.

Glen

Heather

Heather Report 11 Nov 2007 17:27

Hi, Im with Glen, just get the 2006V16 - you can get it for a tenner now from twr computing online along with a 14 day sub to ancestry
- Glens got carried away with an extra 0 there!.

I guess with the 2005 you didnt have the facility to back up to cd or the internet storage or make a home page :( You get all that with the 2006 and make sure you do all of them.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 11 Nov 2007 17:36

Got my bracket and 0 mixed up!!!!

Now amended to the correct price of £10

Heather

Heather Report 11 Nov 2007 18:41

(Got your brackets in a twist eh Glen.)

Meanwhile I see that you already had the FTM2006 so you should have used all those back ups - do make sure you do them this time :)

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 11 Nov 2007 18:59

Hi
I doubt if your hard disk is faulty otherwise you would have said that you had been having problems with your PC for a while. While it is true that it can crash with a vengeance, the chances are that it is OK.
May I suggest two possible solutions.

1. Have the hard disk fitted as the second drive in your new PC.

2. If your hard disk is IDE buy a USB to IDE adaptor that will plug into your harddisk externally so you can copy your important files from it.
You can buy USB to any type of hard disk drive connections.

1) would be the simplest solution.

Good luck
Paul

http://cpc.farnell.com/
then enter CS13609 in the product search box
cost £23-30 +vat

Neil

Neil Report 11 Nov 2007 19:13

You can get SATA --> USB devices too. Got one from Maplin (which was SATA/IDE to USB) for work and it's about the best thing i even bought (PC wise)

Link: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=48965&doy=11m11 £24.99 currently

damandblast

damandblast Report 11 Nov 2007 19:21

Thanks for that info friends :-)

Will get 2006 again (unless I manage to find the box with all my family research data in sometime soon lol). I have several PC's in my home, unfortunately, FTM was on my oldest laptop and I had a roundtoit on to relocate the program as the laptop was having HDD problems. That was why I had created an uptodate gedcom tbh. House move and new job put paid to any freetime to play with PC's.

I didn't lose any photo's as these were all backed up on an external. The only thing that is "lost" as such is my actual program. I really must get into my loft at the unpacked boxes, that's were it will be hiding.

No new PC to be purchased as I already have a major desktop and have another laptop provided by work. Have managed to interigate old drive, not even the old operating system left on it, wouldn't let me restore through normal routes either had to explore through the so called "expert" user options (some joke that is if it lets me in lol).

If my total cost (total loss) ends up as £26 or there abouts, I suspect I got off lightly!

Thanks again.

Di