Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another one for you lovely helpful people

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 11 Nov 2007 18:05

Ok, here we go :)

In 1871 I have this family living in Redruth :-

Caroline Wills b1866 daughter
Charles b1864 son
Elizabeth b1831 wife
Elizabeth 1855 dau
Hannah b1869 dau
John b1867 son
Joseph b1859 son
Lily b1870 dau
Peggy J b1862 dau
Thomas b1833 head

Now, I think a possible marriage for the parents = 1865, Thomas Wills and Elizabeth Glanville, although this would put them as getting married after the children's births (not that unusual).
Or, it could be in 1852 - Thomas Wills and Elizabeth Martin.
But I don't seem to be able to find the family in 1861?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Laura

Laura

Laura Report 11 Nov 2007 18:08

There is a Thomas Wills in 1861 living in St Agnes, with his wife Elizabeth and children :

Bessy Wills 2
Elizabeth Wills 23
Joal Wills 1
John Wills 4
Thomas Wills 26
Thomas Wills 5

John Wills is the person I'm interested in, and this actually fits his age better. In 1871 he's down as being born 1867 which would have made him only 15 when he married, to be born in 1857 would fit better but on all the later censuses they say they're all married in Redruth! Could it be them do you think?

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Nov 2007 18:27

Hi Laura, yes they are probably the same family. On both census Thomas Wills is a miner, Also if you look on GENUKI you will see :The original parish of Redruth, (Cornish: Rysrudh), was situated in the deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It is bounded on the north by Illogan and St Agnes,
Hope this helps,

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 11 Nov 2007 18:34

If you look closely at the image for 1871 you will see that John is 11 and not 4. There is a line through so difficult to read but he is working as a Miner (surface) so 11 must be right. I'm sure even then 4 yrs old didn't work in the mines, (I hope).

Laura

Laura Report 11 Nov 2007 18:39

I hope so too! I think it must be. Thanks!
I knew St Agnes was close (we have lots of links there on this same line but different branches if you know what I mean) but wasn't sure whether to take it as granted!

Laura

D

D Report 11 Nov 2007 19:01

Hello Laura

If you take a good look at the 1871 image I think you will see that your John is 11 and not 4

Which leads us back to1861 and the following with Thomas the father away (working?)

Name: John Wills
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1860
Relation: Son
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Wendron, Cornwall, England

Civil Parish: Wendron
Ecclesiastical parish: Carnmenellis
County/Island: Cornwall

Street address:

Condition as to marriage: View Image

Registration district: Helston
Sub-registration district: Wendron