Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stillborns

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 13 Nov 2007 13:04

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help.

My mum had a stillborn girl somewhere between 1961 and 1967, in Manchester. Im wondering if someone can help me with these questions;

Would the birth or death have been registered?
Would the child have been buried? if so, how could I find out where?
How could I find out when the child was born/died?

Unfortunately my mum died a few months ago, so Im unable to ask her, but not far from her grave is a group of what look like paupers/childrens graves - Im wondering if my sister could be in there!

I'd appreciate any help

Thanks
Stephanie

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2007 13:44

there is a stillbirth register upon only to close relatives .I believe you would be able to access it by proving your parents are now deceased. If the baby was born in hospital I,m afraid it was the norm then to put the child in with an unconnected Adult who was being buried shortly. The best bet would be to get that info first from the stillbirths register and then take it from there.

The GRO website gives info about the stillbirths register.

Shirley

I

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2007 13:46

this is from that site

Home Births Deaths Stillbirths Marriages Civil Partnerships Adoptions About Us Research Contact Us

Stillbirths
Obtaining Stillbirth Certificates

Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering a certificate of the entry differs from other types of certificates. We will only send out the application form after we have been contacted by phone or in writing by the mother or father (if he is named on the certificate). In cases where the parents are deceased, a brother or sister can apply if they can provide their parents’ dates of death.

The cost of the certificate is £7.

Phone +44 (0)845 603 7788
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm GMT (excluding bank holidays) and Saturday 9am to 4pm GMT.

Or write to us at:
General Register Office
PO Box 2
Southport
Merseyside
PR8 2JD

Neil

Neil Report 13 Nov 2007 17:26

Also some further info which might influence your decision on whether to get the certificate or not. This came from me e-mailing them:

'We need both their names (Parents), date of the baby's birth, area and if possible
whether hospital or home birth. We do not need parent's dates of birth
just date and area of their deaths.

Regarding the certificate if the baby was born before Oct 1960 there will
be no cause of death on it and no forenames included before March 1983.'