Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

anyone up on regulations?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan

Jan Report 15 Nov 2007 09:15

I've requested some information about a great aunts placement in an institution in the 1930's (she died in the 70's) . the response I recieved from the archives was they will request the information but may need to use the Freedom of Information (Time for Compliance with Request) Regulations, 2004 .
I understand about data protection etc, does that fall under a similar catagory?
Thanks

Sam

Sam Report 15 Nov 2007 09:27

I had similar with Staffordshire Records Office, I wanted details of my great grandfather who was put into an Asylum in 1935 and died in the same place 6 months later.

Apparently since it was less than 100 years ago, they had to get permission from the relevant Health Authority before I could see the information.

They gave permission and the Records Office photocopied the relevant pages fro me so that I didn't see information relating to anyone else.

Sam x

Jan

Jan Report 15 Nov 2007 09:34

ahhh I see ok thanks, hopefully something will come through then. they did say to wait 30 days.