Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norma

Norma Report 15 Nov 2007 15:08

GR members why do you need/use Family Tree Maker?

I have FTM2006 I also subscribe to Ancestry, can I use in conjunction with each other? When I go to the web resource page on FTM they tell me I am missing out and I need to subsribe to Ancestry to look at the databases.

If my friend buys FTM and gets the free trial on Ancestry will she be able to use the various databases?
Where would you buy FTM and there seems to be lots for 2008 and lots against?

Heather

Heather Report 15 Nov 2007 16:20

I wouldnt bother to buy the FTM2008 yet - I have it and havent really bothered with it as there seems to be no advantage over the FT2006 v16 in fact it has some of my favourite facilities left off.

Now, with your FTM2006 and ancestry - you should have tied them in together. Have you registered your FTM2006? Click on Help at the top of the page and then down to Register FTM. That should enable you to use the search facility direct from the program. Having said that, I find it a bit of a pain and tend to go straight to ancestry to do a search.

You will get about 6 months free internet storage too when you register the program - its very useful in case you forget to back up to cd (which you should do!) as you just have to click on file and then back up and then back up to internet. All your info is then stored in cyber space and if your puter crashes and dies you can then get everything back in one click to restore it. Ive carried on using the facility after my freebie as I have had that happen to me and it was wonderful to see all my hard work return to the program with a click on there (about a fiver a year sub).

But what you should have a go at is creating your own home page on the net. After you have registered - Click on Internet and down to create home page. Its a free website for your tree info - you can keep it private or invite rellies to view it from their own computers or you can open it to a google or other search engine. Ive done that and Ive had a few good contacts.

If you friend buys a FTM program and gets a free trial - she will be able to view all the data bases on the UK sub - You can get FTM2006 for under a tenner from various online sites, twr computing, my-history etc. or google for the best price.

As to why do I use it? Well the GR tree is like a note book compared to an encyclopaedia with my FTM. I can easily add photos, print reports, check relationships, print trees, create a home page, create a book, add time lines - so much more AND as above, it can be backed up to cd and the internet AND you can invite people to view your website.