Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GEDCOM FILES ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Taff

Taff Report 18 Nov 2007 09:04

can anyone help a thicko please?
what are Gedcom files and how do I set/start one up?
any info would be gratefully recieved !

Joy

Joy Report 18 Nov 2007 09:28

http://genealogy.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-gedcom.htm

Acronym For: GEnealogical Data COMmunication

Definition: In simple terms GEDCOM is a standardized method of formatting your family tree data into a text file which can be easily read and converted by any genealogy software program. The GEDCOM specification was originally developed in 1985 and is owned and managed by the Family History Department of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

If you go to the LDS site - familysearch.org - You can look at the PAF (Personal Ancestral File) and download that to put your family on there. It is free. Then you would be able to save the content of it as a GEDCOM on your computer.

Taff

Taff Report 18 Nov 2007 09:53

Thanks so much Joy, I was to embarresed to ask my "new found" Rellie, as I dont want them to think they,ve found Dumbo ! lol
Thanks again
xx

Joy

Joy Report 18 Nov 2007 10:00

You're welcome. After I posted that, I looked at it again and wondered if it made sense to me, so hoped it would to someone else! btw in a family tree programme such as the PAF, there are lots of things that I do not understand. I just stick to the basics, and it's good enough for me!

Happy hunting!

Taff

Taff Report 18 Nov 2007 10:06

yes Joy, the basics wil suit me just fine too lol

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 18 Nov 2007 10:15

Blimey, looks like i left some tinsel hanging about somewhere!!!.

Seriously though, sent a pm re GEDCOM files and will try and answer any questions you might have about them.

I tend to be offline during the week though as i work away.

Glen

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 18 Nov 2007 10:25

Morning Taff
I have my tree on Family Tree Maker. It's easy you just install the disc then export your tree from GR to your email.
I have a spare disc if you would like it not the latest edition but it comes with a 30 day free trial of Ancestry.

Taff

Taff Report 18 Nov 2007 11:03

thank you Glen and Claire,
I wont keep my full tree on GR, its on paper! so a disc would deffinately be a better idea !
xxxx