Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 census unreadable info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Deborah

Deborah Report 19 Nov 2007 02:07

Hi all,

First, thanks to all who replied to my questions on thread no 962341 (October).

I have found my gt, gt grandfather John Hadley in the 1841 census age 15. I am having difficulty reading the name of his father and his father's occupation. I have enlarged the image but all I can see is what looks like "The' " Hadley aged 50, I known abbrevations were generally used then such as Wm for William, I also realise that hand writing has changed so it might be "Tho' " maybe Thomas? (the census records John Hadley had a brother also aged 15 named Thomas, twins?). Was it a usual practice to shorten first names in the 1841 census?

T's occupation is totally unreadable it looks like ******taker or *****staker. It is puzzling because Thomas and John's occupations are clearly written as Baker and Brass Founder (I presume my gt, gt grandfarther John worked in a Brass Foundry and wasn't at the age of 15 the owner of a Brass Foundry ;)) )

Is it posible to see the original 1841 census? Anyone else having the same trouble?

Dianne

Dianne Report 19 Nov 2007 02:40

Hi Deborah

I have had a look at the image for you and yes, the father is Thomas written as Thos, with the s raised above the Tho.

Thomas the elder looks to be a watchmaker, while Thomas the younger is a caster, which goes with John's occupation. It looks like they were both in the foundry together.

Dianne xx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2007 04:52

Deborah,

ages were rounded up to the nearest 5 on the 1851 census ... so don't assume they are twins!

I agree Watchmaker, Caster, and Brass Founder.

Did you alos note the address?

Horse Fair, St Thomas, Warwickshire

sylvia

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Nov 2007 08:14

Sylvia,

Are you sure about ages being rounded up on the 1851 census? As far as I was aware the ages are as given in the 1851. In the 1841 census the ages are rounded DOWN.

Kath. x

Huia

Huia Report 19 Nov 2007 08:48

I agree with Kath. That is what I had always understood, although I think children were given exact age, and some enumerators even gave adults the correct age.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Nov 2007 12:31

Ages were rounded down on the 41 census for all of those over age 15, so those showing as age 15 could be anything from 15-19, 20 could be anything from 20-24 etc. Children under 15 were given exact age.
Not all enumerators followed the rules.
Margaret

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Nov 2007 18:45

ooopsie

late nigt mistake

Meant to say 1841,

and I really di mean to say rounded down

memo to self ................ either don't post late at nigth or double check what you do post!!

Sorry to mislead everyone.

mea culpa

sylvia

Dianne

Dianne Report 19 Nov 2007 20:19

It looks like they weren't twins. These baptisms were extracted records from the IGI.

Thomas Hadley 4 Oct 1824
John Hadley 11 June 1827
Jane Hadley 25 March 1833
Maria Hadley 27 July 1835

All baptised at St Phillips Birmingham, with parents named as Thomas Hadley and Maria.

Possible wedding for their parents

Thomas Hadley and Maria Gold 17 March 1823 St Martins Birmingham.

Dianne xx

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 19 Nov 2007 22:31

None of my 1841 census rellies have occupations down until 1851. Am I missing out on this then?

Deborah

Deborah Report 20 Nov 2007 18:20

Wow, my thanks to all of you. Now it has been pointed out that Thomas Sr is Thomas, a Watchmaker and Thomas Jr is a Caster, I can see it. Thanks also Dianne for looking them up on ICI I will do some further checking.

Once again thank you