Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lord Roberts - Irish Marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ellie

Ellie Report 19 Nov 2007 10:29

My great-grandmother may have had delusions of grandeur, but one family story tells how Lord Roberts married into the family with "an aunt". Quite who's aunt, I am yet to find out!

Through a little bit of research, I have discovered that Lord Roberts married Miss Nora Henrietta Bows (or Bews) in Waterford, Ireland on 17th May 1859.

Admittedly, the name Bows/Bews isn't one I have in my tree as yet and neither does that part of the family have any Irish connection, but if anyone knows how I could get hold of their marriage certificate (if indeed there will be one), I would be most grateful!

Any further information about Lord Roberts would also be gratefully accepted! (I've found a bit on www.thepeerage.com/p24151.htm)

Many thanks.

Regards, Ellie

Heather

Heather Report 19 Nov 2007 10:43

Have you tried a google search? There are lots of articles and pics

This may help?

Capt. John BEWS, Quatermaster 73rd Foot.

Nora Henrietta BEWS, youngest daughter.

BORN: 17th Mar 1838
Baptised: Castlebar, Mayo, Ireland 15th Apr 1838

DIED: Ascot, Berkshire, England 21st Dec 1920
Buried: Cemetery, Bracknell, Berkshire, England 23rd Dec 1920

Ancestors [ Patrilineage | Matrilineage | Options ]

1. Nora Henrietta BEWS (ROBERTS) 1838 - 1920 2. Capt. John BEWS (?)
3. Mary Elizabeth ? (BEWS)

"Frederick Sleigh Roberts married Nora Bews. My records show they had six children: Nora Frederica (1860-1861), Evelyn Sautelle Roberts(1868-1869), Frederick Henry Sherston Roberts (1869-1869), Mary Aileen Roberts (1870-1944), Frederick Hugh Sherston Roberts (1872-1899), and Ada Edwina Stewart Roberts (1875-1955)."

" Lord Roberts married, in 1859, Nora Henrietta, daughter of Captain Bews of the 73rd Foot. Lady Roberts, who is considerably taller for a woman than her husband is for a man, takes considerable interest in the Army Nursing Service"

Ellie

Ellie Report 19 Nov 2007 11:30

Many thanks for that, Heather.

Ellie

Heather

Heather Report 19 Nov 2007 11:38

All from google Ellie, lots more on there - have a go.

☺Carol in Dulwich☺

☺Carol in Dulwich☺ Report 19 Nov 2007 14:18

see this website

http://www.lineages.co.uk/1_206_0.html

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Nov 2007 08:19

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_Roberts%2C_1st_Earl_Roberts

In addition to the expected stuff about his distinguished military career, there're some genealogical snippets.

Ellie

Ellie Report 21 Nov 2007 16:37

Thanks everyone. I had already gone on to Google and Wikipedia, but what I would like to do is obtain the marriage certificate if possible.

Does anyone know whether these were kept in Ireland in 1859 and if so, where I could get hold of it?

Thanks.

Ellie

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 16:47

I dont know what dates are available - if you do a search on here for Irish or Ireland you will bring tips up. The Irish GRO is online and you could have a look at that. Im lucky in only OHs lot are Irish - LOL, Id hate if mine were - too many dead ends.