Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 16:29

Can anyone suggest what I can do as I can't find a marriage. The marriage was between John Richardson and Elizabeth Armstrong. Both were born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and their first child, Mary Ann, was born there too.
She was born in 1874, so I've checked marriage records from 1867-1875 in this area and can't find anything.
The problem is there are so many John Richardsons it would take a lifetime to look through all of them on a national basis. I've checked for Elizabeth Armstrong but no luck there either!

Does anyone know of a web site where you can search the two names rather than just one?

Any advice greatfully received
Ca

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2007 16:40

you can check both names on FreeBMD

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 16:42

Hi Shirley

I've tried that but thanks x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 19 Nov 2007 16:46

Would this be them? It's from BVRI.
RICHARDSON, John Marriage
Wife: Elizabeth ARMSTRONG
Marriage Date: 25 Aug 1844 Recorded in: Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northumberland, England
Collection: St Nicholas
Husband's Father: John RICHARDSON
Wife's Father: John ARMSTRONG
Source: FHL Film Dates: 1780 - 1849

Oops! Evidently not! I'm 30 years too soon. Thought I had it!
Margaret

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Nov 2007 16:49

theres this one
Marriages Dec 1882 (>99%)
-------------------------------------------------------------

Arnstrong Elizabeth Newcastle T 10b 151

RICHARDSON John George Newcastle T. 10b 151

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 19 Nov 2007 16:51

This them in 1881?

Name: John Richardson
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Newcastle On Tyne

Civil Parish: Battersea
County/Island: London

Street address: 34 Acre St
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Wandsworth
Sub-registration district: Battersea
ED, institution, or vessel: 72a
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
David Richardson 1
Elizabeth Richardson 32
John Richardson 32
John Richardson 5
Mark Richardson 3
Mary A. Richardson 7

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 653; Folio: 99; Page: 50

Mary A, Mark and John born Newcastle upon tyne, David born Battersea

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 17:00

Hi everyone,

Thank you Margaret for looking for me x

Yes Keith that is them in the 1881 census!! My gt nan was born in Battersea.

Shirley No that can't be it as their first child was born in 1874 although having said that I had just assumed they were married at that time????

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 17:02

Me again, No they were definately married when they had Mary A.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 19 Nov 2007 17:06

GT, how can you be so sure they were married when they had Mary A? It was quite common to have children before getting married in those days.

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 17:11

Hmm
Sorry, I have another Mary Ann in my tree and for some very bizarre reason, unbeknown to me, I just looked at her birth certificate and saw her parents were married. Thanks for the correction I'd have been pondering that for an eternity knowing me !

We know they were married by 1881 if they gave true info on the census returns.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 19 Nov 2007 17:15

I know they are both common names around Newcastle, but do you happen to have the fathers names from an earlier census? I saw one possible John Richardson in Islington on the 1871 but no occupation given so cannot x check that.

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 17:21

No don't know any other info as yet. Just got my gt gt grandmothers birth cert today which gave me Elizabeth's surname. If I remember rightly their ages differed on the 81,91 an 01 census so difficult to track birth year exactly. That's why I thought their marriage would be a good place to start so I could get father's names :(

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 17:25

I guess my only option is to get the birth certificates for their children who were born b4 the 1881 census. That would give me Elizabeth's change in surnames so I might be able to pin point it to a couple of years. Lot of money to spend tho

Thank you for all your time and effort Keith, Shirley and Margaret, at least I know I've not missed anything obvious now.

Cheers x

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 19 Nov 2007 17:38

Don't assume they were married - even if they show as such on the census returns.

My grandmother, on registering my father's birth in 1919 stated that she was married - gave her maiden name - everything. However, she did not marry my grandfather until 1922. (3 months after his first wife died)

I expect this happened a lot more than we think it did - especially with divorce being practically impossible to obtain at the time.

Suggest, therefore, that you continue your search for a marriage for several years beyond the birth of the first child.

Jill

genes trance

genes trance Report 19 Nov 2007 21:46

Okay Jill

Thanks for that
:)