Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BMD Reference Numbers - Anyone Know Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 21 Nov 2007 11:47

Please can anyone tell me is there any way you can tell what the area is by the volume number on the BMDs, and also what does the page number mean.

I am trying to find which area people were living when they were born and wondered if there is any way to tell this without ordering the certificate.

Thanks for any help.

Marilyn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Nov 2007 11:52

Go to the genuki website

All registration district info is on there.

But, if you have found the GRO refs, you must also have the district name.............it is part of the info provided.

The Page number is simply that....the number of the page in the register........as with any book.

Reg

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 13:10

Who are the people Marilyn?

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 21 Nov 2007 13:13

Thanks for that Reg, just been on Genuki. Realised that the place is on the BMD but found something else on Genuki, registration districts for Manchester and other places,which I was wondering about too, so thanks again for the pointer.

Marilyn

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 21 Nov 2007 13:21

Heather,

No one in particular at the moment,. OH suggested that we try to find whereabouts they actually lived when born, even down to the street name, to find out how far the families walked to the churches, to enable us to find the strays, and search all the churches within so many miles, sounds complicated but I think I know what he means.

Just gets a bit hard cos a lot of my rellies were in Manchester, and there are a LOT of churches in Manchester to search when you dont even know whether they were C/E, Catholic, Non Conformist or anything else. Oh well, thats what we have to put up with in this hobby!!!

Thanks anyway

Marilyn

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 14:16

Oh I see, well the ref wont really help then will it - it will be a case of buying the cert - or finding them at a very young age on the census and looking at the address on the image.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 21 Nov 2007 14:29

Thanks Heather

Just found one of my problems on the 1841 census, (transcribed as Mayan instead of Mary Ann) and narrowed it down to the Deansgate area of Manchester. Now to search all churches around Deansgate.

Thanks again

Marilyn

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Nov 2007 17:58

Just in case anyone's wondering what the answer to Marilyn's original question was (rather than the info she was after).

Several registration districts are grouped together in a volume, so the volume does give some info about the location, but the name of the registration district gives better info. For example, vol VI contains all the districts from 4 counties (BDF, BRK, BKM, HRT) - see http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/civreg/GROIndexes.html

Very occassionally, it does resolve some ambiguities. E.g., Births Jun 1850: Teasdale Halliburton Smith, Newcastle _ vol 25 p423. This could be Newcastle E (in Emlyn), Newcastle L (under Lyme) or Newcastle T (on Tyne), but since the vol=25, not 26 or 17, we can infer it's on Tyne. (This is confirmed by finding an 1850 birth for this guy at the Newcastle on Tyne LRO: http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/RegIndex.html )

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Nov 2007 19:57

The numbers do help. I'm a member of the Guild of One Name Studies and they are gradually building up info on which church people married in. The refs do change with each church. It's a slow process as ref numbers need to be matched against known info. I expect that one day it may be made available to a wider audience.

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 20:03

Oh thats interesting Jill.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 22 Nov 2007 19:45

Thanks a lot, that is helpful information.

Marilyn