Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I change the date format on GR?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 21 Nov 2007 11:55

I have a prob. as I´ve just exported tree from GR to Tribalpages. It seems TP only accepts US date formats and mine in GR are all UK e.g. the day first, followed by month, then year. So Tribal are showing many of my rellies as 2007 even tho they have been dead for yonks . Anyone know how to change to US format on Genes or preferably on TP. I´ve got 100´s of names and I wanted the Tribal page set up for Christmas for my family. I´d be most grateful for any help.

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 21 Nov 2007 12:08

If you have Windows XP:

Go to Start
Control Panel
Date Time Language Regional Options
Regional and Language Options
Under Regional Options tab click Customize then Time

You should be able to change the time format there.

Finally click Apply then OK.

Dee
x

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 21 Nov 2007 12:34

Dee thanks for replying. I have done what you suggest but it can´t change what I have already put into Genes, it is still the same. I was just wondering if there is a default on Genes that will put everything I´ve already entered into US format.
That was a good tip you gave me though Dee as I saw I could change to metric measurements there and I´ve been struggling with a ruler trying to turn my Spanish labels which are in metric to inches! Muchas gracias.

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 21 Nov 2007 13:03

Oh Gawd Daisy Chain, I'm a bit worried...

I've just been into my Tribal Pages and looked at the technical report forum. There are a few posts on the question of date problems when importing Gedcoms in the UK format.

Log in to Edit, click Help, which is where you will find Forums listed and type Dates into the search box under the technical forum and have a read.

Dee
x

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ*

*ღ*Dee in Bexleyheath*ღ* Report 21 Nov 2007 14:42

MGH ..I'm wondering (from reading the TP technical forum) if you type your dates using three letter format for the month..i.e. Jan, Feb, Mar.....or 01/02/03 etc.

From what I can work out from the forum the former works when importing Ged to TP but the latter doesn't, so perhaps Daisy Chain you are using the number method on Genes? Would be a bit too much to change 100's of entries though!

Not too sure I am on the right track here...I export from my Family Tree Maker and not Genes.

Perhaps Daisy C, you should contact Tribal Pages for help.

Dee
x

maryjane-sue

maryjane-sue Report 21 Nov 2007 15:51

I havent check my tree on TB to see what has happened to the dates but I always use full dates on my computer tree, dont even abreviate the month. But I have noticed that when I upload my gedcom to this site, it converts some of the dates to numbers - which must be confusing for all and I have complained about this before.