Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Birth Certificate please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 21 Nov 2007 19:46

Hello all
I'm looking for some advice/help on understanding/deciphering some information on a couple of birth certificates I have. In the section entitled 'Name, surname and maiden name of mother' I have a name and then some other letting beneath.....it looks like it says 'Card room hand'? Not I'm not certain that it says this but has anyone come across something like this? Could it be the mother's occupation? (There is no father) Or am I completely missing something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Angela

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Nov 2007 19:52

Sounds like it might be an occpation - particularly as there is no father. What year was this?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2007 19:53

You do sometimes get the mother's occupation on birth certificates - especially if the child was illegitimate and no father's name and occupation is added.

Are you able to scan and send the certificate by email? If you can let me know and I will give you my email address and I'll see if I can decifer the words.

Kath. x

Heather

Heather Report 21 Nov 2007 19:54

Card room smacks of cotton mills to me?

Angela

Angela Report 21 Nov 2007 20:14

Thank you all for replying:

The year was 1890 and 1894.

Sorry Kathleen my scanner is not up and running at the moment, I'll see if I can get it done at work!

Heather - cotton mills would be a definite, this is in Lancashire! I don't suppose you know what a card room hand is?

Thanks again

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Nov 2007 20:38

From old occupations site:-

Cardroomer - Worker in the carding room of cotton/woollen mills
Carder - Carded (combed - a skilled job) wool or cotton More Info.
Card Maker - 1) Made the combs and implements for carding (combing) wool
2) Made the loom-cards used by Jacquard looms in the weaving of figured fabrics

Have a look here:-

http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/c.html

Kath. x

Angela

Angela Report 21 Nov 2007 20:43

Thank you, you have been very helpful.

Angela