Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for seafaring relatives?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 23 Nov 2007 10:38

Trinities House kept records of all those who applied for a pension after spending a life either as Thames Watermen or in the Royal or Merchant Navy. The records are in the Guildhall LIbrary in London and are fascinating because the applications for pensions had to contain so much detail. In my case (naturally) there was little detail (of course) but that is unusual. Often there were marriage and birth records, work records and certificates to prove the claim -all amazing stuff. I was looking for a rellie who died in 1794 and found out at least seven facts that I had not known previously and mine was a very thin record compared to some. Worth a try!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Nov 2007 10:42

That sounds great....Thank you for posting this.

Do you need to make an appointment or can you just turn up with I.D.?

Gwyn

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 23 Nov 2007 11:00

No appointment necessary and I have not been asked for ID either. You just go to the library manuscript section to the left of the entrance to the library and ask for the index book for Trinities House. You can even email them and ask them to look in the index for you if you have a name and a date and find it difficult to get into London. Go to the Guildhall LIbrary website and read up about Trinities House to make sure the dates you want are in the collection and find an email address there. Once you find and entry you think may be useful you reference the microfilm and Bob's your uncle. They even have a copying machine -20p per copy

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 23 Nov 2007 11:06

Super thread - I have a number of RN and merchant navy people in my family so will have to make the trip to the capital

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Nov 2007 11:12

Great.

Thank you for the added information.

Gwyn

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 23 Nov 2007 11:13

Another place that I have found extremely helpful is the National Archives. Once again you can look up the website to see if the type of records you want are there and they have an expert on hand called Bruno (surname very Italian -something like Cappanesco) who wrote a book about looking up Naval ancestors in the NA. This book is essential reading if you want to understand the structure of the Navy dating back to the 1600's. The book is on sale in the NA shop. In the NA you do have to register as a reader with ID etc and then they let you loose on literally millions of records. I found ship's logs and pay books of my 1758 Naval ancestor and actually saw his handwriting. I also know that he did not have any venereal diseases which is lovely!

Heather

Heather Report 23 Nov 2007 15:04

That book sounds intterestng Jennifer.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 23 Nov 2007 15:30

It's extremely well researched and so nice to have the author on hand at the NA!

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 24 Nov 2007 00:06

n.

Thanks for this

Duncan

Brit

Brit Report 24 Nov 2007 01:19

This will come in very handy on my trip next year, thanks a lot.

Sky

Sky Report 24 Nov 2007 14:01

Thanks for this information Jennifer.

Sky

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 28 Nov 2007 06:57

Found the name of the book and the author!

Tracing Your Naval Ancestors by Bruno Pappalardo (TNA 2003) in order to explore naval records fully.

Joan

Joan Report 28 Nov 2007 08:46

Thanks Jennifer.
British origins webste seems to have some of these records available....has anyone tried this route?
Joan