Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

is anyone any good at deciphering cause of death n

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Easter Bunny

Easter Bunny Report 23 Nov 2007 14:17

it looks as if my great uncle died from some lung condition aged 18

the nearest I can make out is:-
1)Phitisis pulmonstis
2)Haemoptysis

will google it if I can be sure of spelling
thankyou,
Paula

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 23 Nov 2007 14:29

Is it Phthisis Pulmonaris ?

This was a common respiritory disease - often a term for TB in those days.

Athena

Sam

Sam Report 23 Nov 2007 14:29

Phthisis Pulmonalis is TB.
Haemoptysis is the coughing up of blood from the respiratory tract.

Sam x

Angela

Angela Report 23 Nov 2007 14:31

Pthisis = tuberculosis
pulmonistis = of the lungs
haemoptysis = coughing up blood

so he died of pulmonary TB causing bleeding into the lungs

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 23 Nov 2007 14:32

Hi Paula,

This is the site for you: http://www.paul_smith.doctors.org.uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms.htm

You click on the first letter on the little keyboard to the left of the page to get your answers. It is very useful doing it that way as, if the writing on a certificate is indistinct and you can't be sure of the spelling, you only need to look down the website page to find the likely condition.

Your chap died of TB and coughing up blood from the lungs. Sadly this condition is making a comeback in recent years.

Tracey

Easter Bunny

Easter Bunny Report 23 Nov 2007 14:45

thanks everyone James collapsed at work and was brought home never to leave again according to family legend but my late mam and her siblings never knew what he had died from.
2 of his brothers including my grandfather died from tb and I wondered if James was the one who brought it into the home.Got a feeling his mother may have caught it too because my late gt aunt ,James sister used to say she was terrified of dying like her ma who was fighting for her breath.
sad to die age 18 but it was 1914 so many went on to sacrifice their lives in another ghastly way.
once again thankyou
Paula