Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

OVERSEAS DEATH ? How do I trace place of death?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Toni

Toni Report 24 Nov 2007 07:12

I am trying to obtain a Death Certificate for late my father, Kenneth Hall (18/11/33 - 13/12/92), who I persume died overseas, as there is no record of his death in GRO for England & Wales or Scotland. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can trace his place of death? He served in the Royal Navy from 1951 until his retirement in 1978 and was last known to be living in Manchester. I have tried contacting doctors surgeries local to last known address, but this resulted in 'no trace'. I am desparate to get a copy of his certificate, because he died at the age of 59 and (having 3 children) I would like to know cause of death. I would be grateful for any advice given, as I have hit a brick wall! Toni

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 Nov 2007 08:15

Deaths overseas may be registered in the UK, but there is no requirement for this. It is up to the local authorities to record and investigate deaths on their patch, so you would need to know where he died/which country.

The GRO "deaths overseas" 1966 to 1994 has three Halls registered in 1992, all in Madrid: John Gordon, John Robert and Stella Mary.
In 1993, those registered are two from BAOR (Army)
and one "shipping", dates of birth Anthony 1971 and Terence 1963; the shipping is Helen b1930.

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 Nov 2007 08:21

Hi Toni, Lost for Words,

I'm intrigued that the date of death is known so precisely but not the circumstances. Following the idea that it may be a different year, I've loooked for births in the Dec qtr of 1933. There are eight Kenneths, so it is not impossible that two of these may share the same birthday.

What type of info do you have on the death so far? Did he leave a will?

If he had a heart attack or suffered a stroke (which is quite likely for a 59 year old in the 1990s) then he could have been travelling when he died.

If you are looking for evidence of inherited medical conditions, you might be best treating it as a living persons search, to track down addresses after his retirement. Would it be possible to apply to the Royal Navy as a next of kin, and seek details of his discharge address/pension addresses?