Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

old phone books - not ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Laura

Laura Report 24 Nov 2007 20:01

I'm sure about a year ago I found a site with really old Plymouth phone books on, or business registers. I'm looking for a William Baker who was a coach painter in Devonport, but he died by 1863 (his daughter's marriage). I'm sure there was a site like this but can't seem to find it - any ideas?
Thanks
Laura

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 24 Nov 2007 20:11

Have you looked at historicaldirectories.

Not sure the phone was invented then

Laura

Laura Report 24 Nov 2007 20:15

sorry - yeah think it was directories as in business, not phone!

Just having a look at historical directories now, although it doesn't look like the site I can remember. I'm sure it was a site with three parts of Plymouth on it, maybe a Kelly's directory?

Laura

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 Nov 2007 21:18

Genuki have a page on East Stonehouse, which covers Plymouth sources such as directories etc. These refer to "The Three Towns"

Pete

Pete Report 24 Nov 2007 21:57

I think you have tried to find the site which Terry Williams provided with loads of copies of images from directories of the Plymouth area.

The site has disappeared in the last month or so although there is a link to a cashed copy via the GENUKI page for Plymouth. I just tried that link and it isn't working today.

Laura

Laura Report 26 Nov 2007 19:26

I think that's it Pete, I had the same problem with the link. It's so frustrating!

Laura