Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1861 New Bailey Prison Salford-sorted x

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cyprus

Cyprus Report 25 Nov 2007 17:12

I have 'probables' on 1861 census who are listed as
James Simpson aged 37, Taskmaster , his wife and 7 kids including a 3 month old,at District New Bailey Prison,Salford.
Does this mean he was a worker at the prison,or were the whole family imprisoned?
He is listed 9th after the Govenor-so seems to me like a worker,but does anyone know how to tell the difference?
Lynda

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Nov 2007 17:19

He worked at the prison. Taskmaster probably means he made sure the prisoners worked.

All those who were prisoners are described as prisoners. If you go forward a few images you can see the ones who are in prison.

Kath. x

Cyprus

Cyprus Report 25 Nov 2007 17:26

Thanks Kath--I have been worrying about this for a couple of weeks now,you're a star !!