Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Excel files

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Nov 2007 13:59

I have some parish records on an Excel file/sheet which I can open no probs. Tried to email to a couple of rellies and they can't open it, even saving it first. Any ideas why not. Is it something i'm doing wrong or do they need to open in some sort of prog?
Cheers Margaret.

Sam

Sam Report 29 Nov 2007 14:09

They must have excel installed on their PC in order to open the file.

Sam x

Potty

Potty Report 29 Nov 2007 14:10

If they haven't got Excel, there is a free downloadable suite of programs called OpenOffice www.openoffice.org, that has an Excel compatable program..

Margaret

Margaret Report 29 Nov 2007 22:16

Thanks everyone for your help. That explains it.
My son set-up my PC so i'm lucky, in so much as he added all I need.
Cheers Margaret.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 29 Nov 2007 22:37

You could try exporting the spreadsheet to a word document and sending them that.

Jill

RobG

RobG Report 30 Nov 2007 13:48

There is also an Excel Reader that can be downloaded from Microsoft's website. It means you can open Excel files without having the full program. It's free.

Rob

Margaret

Margaret Report 30 Nov 2007 14:15

Thanks Jill,
I'll try that, and send RobG's info to my rellies. Mine is Microsoft.
Thanks to both of you.
Cheers Margaret.