Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 29 Nov 2007 17:33

please can someone help me or solve my problem, i have a marriage certicate for a relation who was married in 1906, it says her father was a dyer, i have found the family on the 1901 census, and it says that her mother is a widow, this is such a puzzle to me, thank you

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 29 Nov 2007 17:38

The information on certificates is only as good as what was given at the time. Most likely she was only asked her father's name and occupation, unless she was asked if he was dead she probably did not think to mention it.

Jennifer

imp

imp Report 29 Nov 2007 17:39

Can you trace the family in 1891 when perhaps the father was around and see if that was his occupation.

People did not always state deceased on the father's details on marriage certs.

Gail.