Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name Change

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 30 Nov 2007 07:54

Just after some info, my great grandfather was born Jolliffe but was known for most of his life as a Bush. Is there any way i can find out when he changed his surname. It has taken me ages to trace his birth and death certs because of this name change. Most of his living relatives only new him as Bush and were quite shocked to find out his real name was Jolliffe. If anyone can help or suggest the whys and hows it would be appreciated. Ian

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 30 Nov 2007 08:37

Have you tried looking at the Times online? I believe all official name changes were announced in the Times.

You can join Bedfordshire Virtual Library and view it free here:-
http://www.galaxy.bedfordshire.gov.uk/webingres
/bedfordshire/vlib/0.information_reference/online_newspapers.htm

That is all one address, had to cut it to fit page.

Ian

Ian Report 30 Nov 2007 08:43

Thankyou i will try that and let you know if i'm succesful. Ian

Ian

Ian Report 30 Nov 2007 09:36

Unfortunately could not find surname changes on there data base. Back to the drawing board. thanks for the tip Ian

Sam

Sam Report 30 Nov 2007 09:40

I posted an answer to exactly the same question earlier this week:

You might not find any records. From the National Archives website:

"Under English common law, a person may take a new surname, perfectly legally, without drawing up any formal records, provided that such action is not undertaken for the purpose of fraud. Very often a proof of change of name either never existed or no longer exists. Enrolling a deed poll in the Supreme Court was a voluntary process and extra fees were payable. Consequently, very few changes of name were enrolled in these records"

The National Archives will actually search the records for you but the fee is £60. According to another website, less than 5% of name changes are enrolled so £60 probably isn't worth paying.

Sam x

Ian

Ian Report 30 Nov 2007 09:49

Sam, thankyou for the info. I think i'll be OK as a believe i have his birth cert. Its just i was looking for his history as little was known about his family. Once again thankyou Ian