Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CHURCH AND PARISH RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 1 Dec 2007 22:05

Can anyone please tell me where these can be found. I am a newcomer to all this and with the help of many kind people on GR I have got a long way back very quickly. Thanks to all who have helped.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Dec 2007 22:08

Best place for parish records is Familysearch. Here:

http://www.familysearch.org/

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Dec 2007 22:14

Jean

Check Stargazer's thread on records..........her lookups for Glos will cover the years you want..........

More detail added to your Mustoe thread............

Reg

Kate

Kate Report 1 Dec 2007 23:03

One that don't come up on the family search site, for whatever reason, can generally be found at county records offices, and sometimes you come across websites people have set up themselves.

(I was lucky to find a great site someone had built with parish records indexed from c.1500 to c.1850 in the village where my great-grandma was born.)

Heather

Heather Report 1 Dec 2007 23:10

Check out tips for newbies thread and the IGI thread.

Familysearch.org IGI does not have ALL parish records and those that are submitted by members on there are often well dodgey.

In the end it often comes down to contacting FHS local to the event to see if they have transcripts and do look ups or checking if some kind soul on here are going to the relevant office and will help you out. Also check on line by googling to see if there are transcripts.