Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Photographs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paula

Paula Report 2 Dec 2007 15:11

I've been doing my tree for a few years now but don't have many photos of anyone earlier than my grandparents.

It was my birthday the other day and my auntie in Australia sent me a card and it it was a photocopy of a family group photo which was my gg grandfather and gg grandmother plus 10 of their 14 children (including my g grandmother aged about 16). From the age of the children, including one who is a baby at the time, the photo was taken about 1903.

The quality is not great, being a photocopy of a photocopy, but i can't stop looking at it. Its so nice to be able to put faces to what was previously just names on my tree.

My gg grandfather is actually quite good looking!! My gg grandmother has a really good figure considering she had already had 12 children by that time!!

paula

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Dec 2007 15:22

How lovely .wish i had some old photos.

I know there was a studio picture taken of my Mums family when she was about 4 . she was born 1909. Its the traditional family group with Nan siiting with the baby of the family on her lap and the children grouped around her ,Grandad is standing behind her with his hair parted in the middle and a moustache.
Mum is standing to Nans side in her knee high lace up boots. I remember it very well BUT think its now in a black bag!! in a nieces loft. cos after her Mum died (my eldest sister) she gathered up everything .have asked several times for the photo,said i would scan it an return the original ,BUt, told she doesn't have the time to sort it out!!.

Makes me a bit cross cos its not HERS!! its a family picture.

Shirley

Paula

Paula Report 2 Dec 2007 16:18

My gg gf has his hair parted in the middle and a moustache as well!! Must have been the fashion

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 2 Dec 2007 17:19

I had one sent to me of my gran and her 2 brothers and sister when she was aged 16ish and i had never met her as she died when my mum was pregnant with me and i am the spitting image of her. Also i got some pictures of 3 lots of grt grandparents and still have to find the last lot but that one looks a bit tricky. All of people on genes reunited.
Debbie

Huia

Huia Report 2 Dec 2007 18:08

Old photos are so wonderful. I have photos of my parents, grandparents, gt grandparents and 7 or 8 of my gt gt grandparents plus the siblings of quite a few of the gt grandparents, and their children as well. This is probably because when my gt grandparents (all 4 sets) came to NZ their families kept in touch and exchanged photos at Christmas. The photos date from about 1870 onwards, although at least one is earlier, taken the day before one set of gt grandparents set sail for NZ in 1864. It shows gt gt grandfather with his 3 sons and their wives, and 1 daughter, the infant son of my gt grandparents (he died on the boat coming out), the mother of one of the sons wives, and 2 workmates of my gt grandfather. I know who they all are because another relative had an older print of the same photo with all the names on the back. A real treasure.