Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scottish records of death 1956 onwards

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Dec 2007 20:53

Please will someone tell me how to look up deaths after 1956?
Is there one main holding place of these records or can you search fiche elsewhere.....as you can GRO in England at archives or some main libraries.?
I would like to find the death record for a man born 1890 who we know spent some time on ships to and around South Africa ( Port Elizabeth) A researcher has not been able to find a record of his death there, so we wondered if he retuned to Scotland....probably Aberdeen area.

Gwyn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Dec 2007 21:08

Hi Gwyn,

Only by a personal visit to Edinburgh GRO but to go there you have to pay visiting charge,,,,£17 per day or £10half day,,,,,,or paid researcher,,,,,,,,there is memebr on here that visits there often,maybe she can help......will see if I can find her thread,,,,,,,,,,

it now at top on Records,,,,,,,,,,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Dec 2007 21:17

Thank you for that information Kay.

I wouldn't like to impose on someone's time in Edinburgh because we have no idea when he died. I guess it would be a case of searching each quarter after 1956 and I know that can take alot of time.

We'll have to plan a visit sometime........

Gwyn

Susan

Susan Report 2 Jan 2008 19:11

I see your posting is a month old, so you may already know this, but all recent Scottish deaths, marriages and births (i.e. those not available online on Scotlands People) can be obtained from ANY scottish registry office (you don't have to go to Edinburgh).

Susan

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Jan 2008 08:38

Thank you for the added information.

Our problem is that we have no idea when this man died, ..or even if it was in Scotland.
We can't even seem to get an answer to when he was last known to be alive.
With 2 of his daughters still alive, one would think they'd be able to give us better guidance, so that we could search the registrations.
....Will have to try again when I see the older sister in a few weeks time....

Gwyn