Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Friends Reunited/Genes Reunited For Free?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 5 Dec 2007 18:03

Taken from Ancestors Magazine January 08.

"There have been a number of stories in the press recently suggesting that Friends Reunited is to become a completely free service so that it can stave off competition from social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace. This suggests that the associated Genealogy site Genes Reunited may also cease charging.

According to the Register http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/02/friends_reunited_free, a spokeswoman for ITV, which owns both sites, has said, 'no decisions have been taken yet'."

Janet North London Borders

Huia

Huia Report 5 Dec 2007 18:27

Well, if they are going to be free, I hope it happens soon as my sub is due for renewal in a little over a week. I could use the money for another cert.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Dec 2007 18:31

I hope so too. I've just had a reminder email about my subscription which is due at Christmas.

Somehow, though, I can't see Genes becoming free.

Kath. x

Alan

Alan Report 5 Dec 2007 20:05

I find the whole "no decisions have been taken yet2 response interesting. Surely if they were not planning to make the site free they would say so, this remark makes me think that there might be something in this.

Janet

Janet Report 5 Dec 2007 20:25

Alan

They must know it has been highlighted on here by now!

I agree with you that if they were not still considering it then they would have said so, and for Ancestors Magazine, the TNA publication, to highlight it, then there may well be something in the rumour.

Janet North London Borders

Eileen

Eileen Report 5 Dec 2007 21:01

In my dreams - please Santa

It would be nice if there was a subscription that covered both sites. I would not mind too much paying a little bit more than for one site, if it covered both, and.........if we did not have to pay for looking up on the bmd's. ( Obviously still pay for getting actual certs. through the GRO though, as they are 'official' )
Oh well, Christmas is coming.....and my renewal due too..........
dream on
Eileen
PS Still looking for my full sister
Jennifer Ann dob 22nd September 1945
we were adopted separately - our mother lived in Bisley