Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Malaysian name order and database problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 6 Dec 2007 10:15

My son's tree on his father's side is throwing up some interesting challenges.

One of his cousins married a Malaysian lady and I was about to enter her name into my FTM database when I realised I was unsure which was her first name and which was her maiden name. I'm not even sure whether the middle name is part of the first name or surname.

I did google for clues and found this link which gave me further insight into the issue.
http://www.bidayuh.com/article/messages/78.html

It brought back memories of when I worked for an insurance office where nobody seemed sure of how to enter Chinese names onto the database. Needless to say, those records had a nasty habit of disppearing.

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 6 Dec 2007 23:31

Hi Tracey, interesting site, but it did seem confusing to understand! My daughter in law is Thai and when I asked for her full name to add to the family tree she gave me two very long names which didnĀ“t bear any resemblance to her name at all! They both looked like surnames to me, she said that babies are given an extra name after the first thing the mother sees after giving birth, fortunately my granddaughter is called Three Trees as there were 3 trees outside of the hospital window and not something less desirable!

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 7 Dec 2007 08:49

Yes, confusing isn't it!

At my school there were 2 Chinese sisters. Their names followed the pattern of A-B-C and A-B-D. Both, however, were known as A-B, distinguished only by having "big" and "little" in front. I never understood why they diddn't use C and D if that was those were their personal names.

Does anyone else have any experience of entering foreign name patterns onto their trees?