Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Search on ancestry by address?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥ Raych ♥

♥ Raych ♥ Report 6 Dec 2007 22:34

Id like to find out who lived at 75 King Street, Whitehaven, Cumberland on the census'. This is my nanas house, which is currently a sportshop, but I know used to be a pub.. I have a pic of it c. 1970 as the John Peel. Built 1700's as far as I know. Any other info that anyone knows how to get hold of regarding the building would be very interesting.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Dec 2007 22:37

You can do an address search on Ancestry for 1881........free

For any others, you have to pay to view, and none of the other years can be searched by address on Ancestry. For 1901, you need the PRO site....for the rest, findmypast

Reg

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 6 Dec 2007 23:27

Hi Raych,

From the look of it, it was a pub in 1891. The head, William Moffat is a wine and spirit merchant.

15 MOFFAT, William Head Married M 49 Wine & Spirit Merchant
Lamplugh
Cumberland
15 MOFFAT, Ellen Wife Married F 47
Lamplugh
Cumberland
15 MOFFAT, Joseph Son Single M 24 Accountant
Lamplugh
Cumberland
15 MOFFAT, James Son Single M 20 Accountant
Lamplugh
Cumberland
15 MOFFAT, Annie Daughter Single F 22
Whitehaven
Cumberland
15 MOFFAT, Frances Daughter Single F 17 Dressmaker
Whitehaven
Cumberland
15 MOFFAT, Darcy B Son Single M 15 Drapers Apprentice
Whitehaven
Cumberland
15 MOFFAT, Ada Daughter F 7 Scholar
Whitehaven
Cumberland

RG number:
RG12 Piece:
4313 Folio:
112 Page:

Registration District:
Whitehaven Sub District:
Whitehaven Enumeration District:
7 Ecclesiastical Parish:
St Bees

Civil Parish:
Whitehaven Municipal Borough:
Address:
75, King Street, Whitehaven

Deb:)

♥ Raych ♥

♥ Raych ♥ Report 7 Dec 2007 10:22

Would there be any way of finding any original documents or plans for this property? Maybe in the local records office if not online?

Heather

Heather Report 7 Dec 2007 14:42

Have to say that doesnt sound like a pub to me - I havent looked, but is the place named as a pub? - the kids are in nice middle class accountancy jobs and the father is shown as a merchant, not a licenced victualler. I reckon it was a private home at that time.

You could try the Land Registry online but they have tightened up lately because of some fraudulent house selling I believe! But have a look and see if you can download any info on the house.

Kate

Kate Report 7 Dec 2007 15:30

Could have been that he was running a pub and was the licensee but the pub itself was at a different address. I have found things like this when I've been cross-referencing through the difference census records.

♥ Raych ♥

♥ Raych ♥ Report 7 Dec 2007 17:45

Ive found the address on trade directories:

1910 Millie Calver - Prince Albert pub
1883 & 1873 - Henry Atkinson - Prince of wales pub
1847 - Elizabeth Armstrong dressmaker
1828 - James Armstrong - Bone Setter

Raymond

Raymond Report 7 Dec 2007 21:26

Raych,
I believe that Thomas McEwan and his wife Jean ran the Prince Albert from Approx 1968 to 1970, before that I think it as a Mr G Smitham I can't put dates to it, and before him there was a Mrs Gertrude Cosgrove ran it with her brother I believe. I used to live opposite in Strand Street, as a child. my memory is'nt much good on dates sorry.

Raymond

Raymond Report 7 Dec 2007 21:32

Add to above.
Also at one time Jimmy Halsall of he Vine
Hotel in the market place had it as a Bar and restaurant,hope these little bits help
you.