Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How near to Richmond is Wandsworth please?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Dec 2007 21:44

I have ancestors who were from St Mary Magdalen Richmond from 1767 but can't sem to find records there of earlier family members. Just wondered whether Wandsworth was close to Richmond as there are several family names on IGI in this location? Google maps appear to show them close to each other but just wanted to know in approx miles please. Thanks
Di

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 7 Dec 2007 21:50

RAC Routemaster says 5.25 miles by road.

Tiger Lil

Tiger Lil Report 7 Dec 2007 21:52

The Borough of Richmond is next to the Borough of Wandsworth. Richmond Park is just next to Putney which is in Wandsworth although the town of Richmond itself is a couple of miles further away.

I live in Wandsworth and if you have any further information, such as the names of roads I may be able to help. Where were your ancestors living on the census dates?

Lynn

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 7 Dec 2007 21:58

Ladies
Thank you.
My ancestors were Stanford's and the one b1767 was from St Mary's Magdalen Richmond and he was the head shepherd to King George 3rd from 1802 - 1820 and lived off Kew Rd Richmond. I'm trying to find his parents but no joy. However have found other Stanford's living in Wandsworth on the IGI. I wondered how I can check to see if there was a link. I've tried the Surrey History society, and local studies library but no luck with records pre - 1767. I have even written to the church in Richmond without any luck.
Di

Tiger Lil

Tiger Lil Report 8 Dec 2007 00:20

Di,

Both King George 2 and 3 had connections with Richmond Park and used to stay in the White Lodge in the grounds. It could be that your ancestor actually worked in the park - I believe there used to be sheep there (there are still plenty of deer there).

You could try Richmond Council's web-site - they do have some information on genealogy. They also have a list of burials in the borough - I had a quick look and there are lots of Stanfords but they all date from the 20th century.

I don't know how you would prove a link between the relations in Wandsworth and those in Richmond - but I think it is quite likely that there was some relationship between them - my ancestors about this time moved around between north and south London but I have found it really difficult to go back past about 1800 for my London relations.

Best of luck,

Lynn

Janet

Janet Report 8 Dec 2007 10:18

Your best place for Surrey Parish Records will be the Surrey County Record Office (CRO) which has moved to Woking and is now known as "The Surrey History Centre"

130 Goldsmith Road
Woking
GU21 6ND
01483518 737

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/surreyhistoryservice/

Surrey History Centre replaced the Surrey Record Office, the Guildford Muniment Room and the Surrey Local Studies Library. Surrey County Council found £3.75 million and provided the site. A successful Heritage Lottery Fund application added £2.74 million. Surrey History Centre is now the home of the Surrey Heritage division.

However you may also find that a lot of Wandsworth records are actually at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA) but this place is closed for refurbisment until about 8 January.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/leisure_heritage/libraries_archives_museums_galleries/lma/

You could also try the A2A site to see what you can find there.

Janet North London Borders

gemqueen

gemqueen Report 8 Dec 2007 11:42

Lynn and Janet
Thank you so much for this. I get so confused with the different centres and societies. I am in touch with the Surrey History centre already and they have been very helpful as has a gent Paul Special Agent on GR. I have new info to look at now thanks to you both.
Di